Marty Stouffer Pretty as a Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by beepbeepinajeep, Jun 9, 2009.

1. beepbeepinajeep

beepbeepinajeep Songster

Apr 19, 2009
    Piedmont NC
    I loved Wild America as a kid:) I was searching for quail at our local library & the only thing I found was a dvd hit. I checked out the movie (season 9) and watched the episode on Quail. We thoroughly enjoyed it! There were so many pretty breeds. I guess some of the wild breeds are just not available to backyard breeders, right?

Also, at the NC Aquarium they had bobwhites that were almost as big as bantam chickens. Are there jumbo size or are all bobwhites that big? Our coturnix are so little in comparison.

2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    supposedlly jumbo bobwhites are about the same size (or a lil smaller) than jumbo browns. You may have pharoah sized quails? [​IMG] I wanna see that eppisode now!! [​IMG]

3. beepbeepinajeep

beepbeepinajeep Songster

Apr 19, 2009
    Piedmont NC
    I looked on you tube to see if someone had it there & no luck. I loved watching it:) If you live in Davidson County, NC the library there has it;) I wish they would have some books on quail!

4. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:there actually is (books on quail) lophora reccomended them to me and wish i would have kept the list because i'd love to buy them! LOL!

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Crowing

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:AH THAT WOULD BE MY LIL QUAILZILLAS! THEY ARE THE "BUTLER BOB WHITE QUAIL" REACH UPWARDS OF 32 OZ IN SIZE

6. beepbeepinajeep

beepbeepinajeep Songster

Apr 19, 2009
    Piedmont NC
    They seemed really friendly at the aquarium... would they be good for a backyard enthusiast?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: