MARYLAND THREAD!

Pics
Did you ever try the feed store's up near Frederick?  Once I'm low on feed I'm going to start looking for a new one.  Either Blue Seal or maybe Nutrena.

Headed there Thursday. I was literally passing a feed store last week and grabbed what I needed then, but I'll be out by Thursday, or near enough as to make no difference.

ETA: I'd actually like to get some of both Blue Seal and Nutrena and see what everyone likes more and what seems to be better quality. The issue is getting it...we are about to be starting swim team again, so it will be harder for me to get to Walkersville...I'll be driving south to Landover every other day and it almost makes more sense to buy feed in town or on my way south, kwim.

Last edited:
I have been using Southern States brand feeds for just over a year. But witht the prospect that the SS in Brunswick may be closing in the near future, I was checking the store in Jeffferson, MD. I tried their Purina brand of feeds and found them to be a little more expensive. But the biggest issue is that my chickens do not like the Purina layer pellets as much as the SS pellets.

Still I would like to find some better quality feed but would prefer not pay too much more for it.

Last edited:
Quote:
I've been shopping around a little bit, but not too much.. the best prices I've found so far are at Tractor Supply. I went last week and bought two 50 pound bags of Layer pellets, prices at $14 something a bag.. when I checked out they scanned an in--store coupon and charged me 13.25 a bag. I still think I can do better, as I'm still trying to break the $50 a dozen price tag for "free eggs"!

I have been using Southern States brand feeds for just over a year. But witht the prospect that the SS in Brunswick may be closing in the near future, I was checking the store in Jeffferson, MD. I tried their Purina brand of feeds and found them to be a little more expensive. But the biggest issue is that my chickens do not like the Purina layer pellets as much as the SS pellets. Still I would like to find some better quality feed but would prefer not pay too much more for it.

Mine would not eat Purina layer pellets, but everybody does seem to like the SS pellets I get for the meaties.

TSC is cheapest, but you would be driving a bit to get there.

But even with in store coupons or those e-mailed to me from Purina, it's very hard to get under $13-14/bag for any feed. I sure try with anywhere from 50-80 birds at any one time! DH was complaining that I spend more on the animals' groceries than on ours. He is kind of right..the garden fills in a lot of gaps for us people, and even with free ranging, the birds still want to eat a decent breakfast and dinner.

I have been using Southern States brand feeds for just over a year. But witht the prospect that the SS in Brunswick may be closing in the near future, I was checking the store in Jeffferson, MD. I tried their Purina brand of feeds and found them to be a little more expensive. But the biggest issue is that my chickens do not like the Purina layer pellets as much as the SS pellets. Still I would like to find some better quality feed but would prefer not pay too much more for it.

Mine would not eat Purina layer pellets, but everybody does seem to like the SS pellets I get for the meaties.

TSC is cheapest, but you would be driving a bit to get there.

But even with in store coupons or those e-mailed to me from Purina, it's very hard to get under $13-14/bag for any feed. I sure try with anywhere from 50-80 birds at any one time! DH was complaining that I spend more on the animals' groceries than on ours. He is kind of right..the garden fills in a lot of gaps for us people, and even with free ranging, the birds still want to eat a decent breakfast and dinner.

Maybe we need a coop co-op where we can buy a ton of feed and split it up at cost.. I'm sure there enough chicken owners... but the logistics could be tough.

I would be up for that but the cost would have to be worth it. I can't spend $20 a bag when I have over 50 mouths to feed. And I prefer to feed everyone Chick Starter/Grower. Just easier for me.

So I made it today to Walkersville Feed. A few things:

Well off the beaten path. You will need to print directions or use GPS or OnStar to find it. I had to have the OnStar advisor look it up to get accurate directions.

When you walk in, it isn't like SS or TSC that looks all organized....there are bags of feed kind of stacked everywhere, all willy nilly, with some other random stuff. Ask to see what they have, .but they only carry the following in 50 lb bags:

Medicated starter/grower. No non-medicated. I don't use medicated.
Layer pellets
Layer crumbles
Scratch grains, which I have used in the past, but I don't feed much scratch in the summer months
Corn, whole and cracked

I was hoping to find the new mite-preventer food, not because we have a mite problem (although a few this time of year would not surprise me) but to read the label, their general flock feed, and broiler feed, all listed on the Nutrena website.

When I first asked, they asked if I wanted cracked or whole corn, and I kind of went Huh? I need FEED, not treats. So be sure you ask for mash or pellets.

Price was good. Under $14 a bag, total with tax was $29something for 2 bags layer crumbles.

I had considered buying dog food, but I was not impressed by anything Nutrena was using in the dog food. I'm super picky about what the dogs and cats eat.

Ended up at TSC for Flock Raiser ($17something/50 lbs) and broiler feed (finishing them off with 24% turkey grower at about $15/50 lbs) and dog food and dog treats. I'll be back at some point for cat food.

All this will last about 2 weeks, then rinse and repeat.

I spend more on animal feed a month than on people feed, even free ranging all the birds, which is kinda nuts...

Thanks for the info. As my flock has grown both in number & maturity, the feed bill has ramped up significantly. They do free range with ~ 500 feet of electric netting enclosure which I move periodically. But still the feed bill goes up.

Thanks for the info.  As my flock has grown both in number & maturity, the feed bill has ramped up significantly.  They do free range with ~ 500 feet of electric netting enclosure which I move periodically.  But still the feed bill goes up.

Yep. And I know it will go up over the winter too. I'm looking forward to downsizing by slaughtering the FR, which immediately removes 30 birds, and a couple roosters might find their way into the cones as well.

Back
Top Bottom