MARYLAND THREAD!

Pics
I have 25 russian orloff chicks and it looks like 5-10 are roosters. I was going to take them to the sharpsburg swap in september and whatever I do not sell, I was going to put in the freezer.

I have never freezered a bird before and the orloffs are so pretty..... but i think I can do it.

I am going to the swap! I am excited. It sounds like a good time. For me since I may only have 2 possible roos so I don't think it is worth bring them to the swap. To sell you need to pay the $15 vendor fee which is a cheep vendor fee but still it wouldn't cover what someone would want to pay for them. Also the birds need to be tested for pollorum/typhoid which is great but pretty inconvenient for me at the moment

I sold two bird there last swap. I got them tested but i didn't have to pay because I only had two. The swap opened at 8am and my girls sold at 8:08am. The roosters may take a bit longer to get rid of but they are rare, cute and excellent quality so who knows. I also may bring a silkie roo and some orloff poults too.

I sold two bird there last swap. I got them tested but i didn't have to pay because I only had two. The swap opened at 8am and my girls sold at 8:08am. The roosters may take a bit longer to get rid of but they are rare, cute and excellent quality so who knows. I also may bring a silkie roo and some orloff poults too.
Where did you get them tested?

last swap the owner set up a testing day. you could bring 10% of your flock or if you have less than 10 birds just bring one. I drove up to sharpsburg and she tested them on the spot and then at the swap she gave you the paperwork. I don't know if she will do it again this swap. You can also do something with the agricultural department but idk about all that. You do not need to be tested if you are NPIP.

Contact the ag dept (animal health section) and ask about testing. You could have your whole flock tested, or just test the ones you want to bring if they will be older than 12 weeks at the swap. But then keep the tested ones separate from the rest of the flock.

Now that the DoD furloughs are over, I might take the day off (costs me a lot of money to take a day off) and go. Probably won't bring any birds, unless I decide to rehome a couple of my SFH roosters. If I got my act together, I could bring aprons, bags, baked goods, jams, some fall seedlings, etc along with some hatching eggs.

Anyone know of salmon favreolle breeders in md? I bought two at the swap, sadly one didn't make it(thought my coop was animal proof:( ), the other might be a roo, unless it's a dark pullet... Let me know.

Anyone know of salmon favreolle breeders in md? I bought two at the swap, sadly one didn't make it(thought my coop was animal proof:( ), the other might be a roo, unless it's a dark pullet... Let me know.
Meyers hatchery sells them but I do not know the quality of them.

One lady I got my isbars from sells them. She may be the one you bought them from. Her name is Kim Smith Laockwood, she is in VA. She will most likely be at the swap again this september.

Back
Top Bottom