MARYLAND THREAD!

So I wanted to update on the feed I am trying out: Blue Seal Multi Flock.  I absolutely love it.  I just picked up 6 more bags on Wednesday and they were just milled that day.  Can't get any fresher then that.  Love the price as well and so far a great feed.

Nice!

The reason they have everyone register their flock here in MD is because the commercial poultry industry is HUGE. In 2004, there was a big low path AI outbreak on the eastern shore. I was one of the veterinarians involved in the outbreak. And we had NO IDEA who had chickens where, and we needed to know so we could inform people and also watch for signs of illness, to keep it from spreading and decimating the entire poultry population in that area. Say what you will about how the birds are kept, but the money concerned was huge. We ended up basically driving around looking for poultry after containing the initial outbreak, which was a giant time sink and cost money we could have otherwise spent on testing or biosecurity measures, making sure nobody had any sick birds.

So, us Feds, the state vets and the govenor's office felt that having flocks of more than 5 birds in MD would be expedient in helping us get the word out if an outbreak pops up in an area. Also, if you don't register your flock, you cannot exhibit birds at a fair or swap, according to the regs I saw last week (I was sent a packet from MDA as an accredited veterinarian to help me stay up with the paperwork needed to ship animals and exhibit animals). Again, it allows trace back in case of problems.

That is all it is for. It isn't out to get you....it would only be used if there is a need to bother you.

Nice!

The reason they have everyone register their flock here in MD is because the commercial poultry industry is HUGE. In 2004, there was a big low path AI outbreak on the eastern shore. I was one of the veterinarians involved in the outbreak. And we had NO IDEA who had chickens where, and we needed to know so we could inform people and also watch for signs of illness, to keep it from spreading and decimating the entire poultry population in that area. Say what you will about how the birds are kept, but the money concerned was huge. We ended up basically driving around looking for poultry after containing the initial outbreak, which was a giant time sink and cost money we could have otherwise spent on testing or biosecurity measures, making sure nobody had any sick birds.

So, us Feds, the state vets and the govenor's office felt that having flocks of more than 5 birds in MD would be expedient in helping us get the word out if an outbreak pops up in an area. Also, if you don't register your flock, you cannot exhibit birds at a fair or swap, according to the regs I saw last week (I was sent a packet from MDA as an accredited veterinarian to help me stay up with the paperwork needed to ship animals and exhibit animals). Again, it allows trace back in case of problems.

That is all it is for. It isn't out to get you....it would only be used if there is a need to bother you.

Question for you. Since I live across the border in VA, I am used to the standard NPIP testing and AI testing of birds to sell or show in the State of MD. I have an NPIP/AI certified flock (VA 52-268) and I am certified NPIP tester. The question is this. Is MD considering requiring more than this to sell or show chickens in MD? Thanks!

Question for you.  Since I live across the border in VA, I am used to the standard NPIP testing and AI testing of birds to sell or show in the State of MD.  I have an NPIP/AI certified flock (VA 52-268) and I am certified NPIP tester.  The question is this.  Is MD considering requiring more than this to sell or show chickens in MD?  Thanks!

No. There may be a change in the bands, but I have to go back and look....I did not pour over the papers at the time. The papers are in hubby's car at work, but I can get them when he comes home this evening and double check on what, if anything, was changed for 2014.

It was just the need to register stuck in my head, because I have run into a few people who told me they don't want to, and I know from experience that them not being registered will just complicate matters should we have a disease outbreak in this area.

Well, I happened to pop over to MDA's website, where they have updated all policies.

Livestock will have new ear tag requirements. Not poultry, so I was mistaken. But poultry must have a numbered wing or leg band and originate from a registered flock if they are MD birds. Testing requirements for intra and interstate birds are outlined with appropriate forms given.

I am unble to copy and paste from the website to here, but here is a link to the requirements and the necessary self certification forms. Of course, poultry crossing state lines still needs interstate veterinary certificates
http://mda.maryland.gov/animalHealth/Pages/Fairs-Shows.aspx

This also outlines requirements if one wishes to hold a show or swap on one's property or a public venue.

ETA: there are some misconceptions about registering. When you register, all you are doing is saying, yes, I have poultry, about this many, what kinds I have, and this is what I use them for. If you are selling a great number of birds or showing your birds, your risk is different than the guy with 5-10 hens that never go anywhere, and thus your need to hear if a disease is affecting birds in your area is different. They also want to know if you are near a body of water, because your risk of your birds getting something from wild birds is higher and they can help you if you suddenly have a good number of birds dying off unexpectedly.

I know several of the MDA field staff...very nice people. They aren't out to get anyone.

Last edited:
Well, I happened to pop over to MDA's website, where they have updated all policies.

Livestock will have new ear tag requirements. Not poultry, so I was mistaken. But poultry must have a numbered wing or leg band and originate from a registered flock if they are MD birds. Testing requirements for intra and interstate birds are outlined with appropriate forms given.

I am unble to copy and paste from the website to here, but here is a link to the requirements and the necessary self certification forms. Of course, poultry crossing state lines still needs interstate veterinary certificates
http://mda.maryland.gov/animalHealth/Pages/Fairs-Shows.aspx

This also outlines requirements if one wishes to hold a show or swap on one's property or a public venue.

ETA: there are some misconceptions about registering. When you register, all you are doing is saying, yes, I have poultry, about this many, what kinds I have, and this is what I use them for. If you are selling a great number of birds or showing your birds, your risk is different than the guy with 5-10 hens that never go anywhere, and thus your need to hear if a disease is affecting birds in your area is different. They also want to know if you are near a body of water, because your risk of your birds getting something from wild birds is higher and they can help you if you suddenly have a good number of birds dying off unexpectedly.

I know several of the MDA field staff...very nice people. They aren't out to get anyone.
Do you know any testers??? I still can't get someone to come test my birds and Kim in Salisbury can't get any testers to call her back. At this point, my NPIP will default.

Do you know any testers???  I still can't get someone to come test my birds and Kim in Salisbury can't get any testers to call her back.  At this point, my NPIP will default.

No, I don't, unfortunately. They don't work for MDA, so I never met them. I did NPIP testing many years ago, but I was in the field with an MDA employee, who was certified, at the time. I can't get any to call me either, so I can't even get started on NPIP testing myself!

If the courses were not weekend classes, I'd go get certified myself, but taking a weekend off costs me a pile of money and complicates work for the hospital staff.

So, not 100% a Marland issue but:
I recently got some chicks. They are all doing great except one has a bald spot under it's wing. I can't recall having noticed this in chicks I've raised before. The skin isn't red and there isn't any indication of any infection or injury. There is just bald spot, about 1 inch square. Any ideas? Or is this something I just dong need to worry about?

Last edited:
Nice!

I really appreciate you clarifying this, I hear so many negative things from folks about registering the birds in Maryland. Mine have been registered all year and no one has come to inspect or bother me. It was very easy and the little card stating that I had registered came in the mail in a matter of days!

Was just wondering. I am certified NPIP tester in VA and live on the MD border. Would MD allow me to do testing in MD if I went through MD's certification requirements or would there possibly be a reciprocity feature with which that we could take advantage?

Back
Top Bottom