MARYLAND THREAD!

I really appreciate you clarifying this, I hear so many negative things from folks about registering the birds in Maryland. Mine have been registered all year and no one has come to inspect or bother me. It was very easy and the little card stating that I had registered came in the mail in a matter of days!

That is all that will happen, unless there is a problem. For instance, if you live within 5 miles or whatever is deemed necessary of a place with an outbreak of disease, you likely will be included in a quarantine, where any of your birds that die would be tested and you can't move any birds in or out. That is all. Nobody is ever gonna come inspect in normal times.

Just take that little card with you to shows or swaps and that is all the proof you need.

So, not 100% a Marland issue but:
I recently got some chicks. They are all doing great except one has a bald spot under it's wing. I can't recall having noticed this in chicks I've raised before. The skin isn't red and there isn't any indication of any infection or injury. There is just bald spot, about 1 inch square. Any ideas? Or is this something I just dong need to worry about?

I wouldn't worry.

Was just wondering.  I am certified NPIP tester in VA and live on the MD border.  Would MD allow me to do testing in MD if I went through MD's certification requirements or would there possibly be a reciprocity feature with which that we could take advantage?
I don't know. Your best bet is to call Kim in Salisbury.

OK, here is the Roo I need to rehome in Northern Calvert County.

He is about 15-16 months old, a little feisty with birds but good with the humans around here.
Thanks.

I wouldn't worry.
It was just something that I hadn't ever really noticed before. This morning I check out the little guy and it appears as if some feathers have started to grow in/over the bald spot.

The little ones are doing great and are active as can be. If the weather shapes up like it should, they will get their first little romp around the yard tomorrow for a bit. The pullet has been named Cinnamon, she is still in quarantine, but seems to be doing reasonably well herself.

It was just something that I hadn't ever really noticed before.  This morning I check out the little guy and it appears as if some feathers have started to grow in/over the bald spot.  

The little ones are doing great and are active as can be.  If the weather shapes up like it should, they will get their first little romp around the yard tomorrow for a bit.  The pullet has been named Cinnamon, she is still in quarantine, but seems to be doing reasonably well herself.

Excellent! I am so glad they are doing well for you. No explanation as to why, except that maybe that one is a bit slow to feather in. I have one roo I wondered for the longest time of he was going to have split wing, but the feather finally grew in, slow as cold molasses.

That little lady is quite lovely, and IME, she should gentle down in quarantine, simply because SFH are so curious. She might not ever be a lap chicken, but hanging out by herself and interacting with you might make her an underfoot chicken, lol. I have a roo that injured his hip when young and got stuck in a hospital cage by himself for some weeks, and he is a busybody now, always coming up to see what we are doing, but he doesn't like us petting him.

Back
Top Bottom