MARYLAND THREAD!

Hello! I am knew to this and am trying to obtain as much info as possible on backyard chickens....does anyone know the rules for Calvert County- is their a restriction on the number of hens you can have? I havent been able to find anything on the county website...thanks!

new member here! I live in north calvert county. I have a few girls and trying to find someone who I can purchase a copper marans pullet and an olive egger pullet. The closer to laying age the better.
I look forward to learning mor
I just put an ad on CL and gave away 13 of them. 6 BCM and 4 olive eggers. They were chicks though. If you don't find any, let me know and maybe I will hatch some for ya. I live in Huntingtown.

Hello! I am knew to this and am trying to obtain as much info as possible on backyard chickens....does anyone know the rules for Calvert County- is their a restriction on the number of hens you can have? I havent been able to find anything on the county website...thanks!

Calvert is ridiculous. You have to have 3 acres of land to have 1 chicken. but, according to Animal Control, "the good news is, if you have 3 acres you can have whatever livestock animal you want and as many as you want". WHAT???

@lismarc

bummer I missed the post! I just picked up a pullet of each (or at least what I'm hoping is one of each). We aren't 100% positive on the olive egger but she should be laying within a month or so. I was thinking about maybe looking into another chick but I should hopefully know one way or the other soon.

@fallyn That's great news!! I'm sure she's an olive egger. Keep in mind, (in my experience) when I have disrupted the hens regular routine... moved them to a different coop or adding new chickens to their pen... some quit laying for a few weeks until they become comfortable again and/or the pecking order has been reestablished. Only saying this because I didn't want you to worry if they're not laying at the end of a months time. It might take a couple weeks longer.

Yes, in Calvert County you are required to have at least 3 acres of land to have chickens. But there are no restrictions on the number you have or whether you also have roosters. You should check with your homeowners association if you live in a development that has one. They may have other restrictions you will have to abide by.

@ Deb B,
Are there restrictions in Wicomico county that you know of or where should look?
I'm sorry but I don't know about Wicomico county. I live in Calvert so that's why I know those restrictions. Seems like Wicomico would be chicken farm country so I would suspect the regulations would be minimal. But the best thing to do is go to the county webpage and look up what the regulations are for farm animals. Or maybe someone else here at BYC lives in Wicomico and knows the regulations.

@ Deb B,
Are there restrictions in Wicomico county that you know of or where should look?
It's a snow day and I'm bored....so I looked it up 'cause I'm curious. Go to http://www.wicomicocounty.org/DocumentCenter/View/1190 and scroll down to page 99. Looks like it's OK in residential areas with some restrictions as to space, setbacks, and personal vs. commercial use.

One word of caution. That doc is from 2004. Perhaps it's changed. I can't find a more recent version...perhaps it's just me being stupid.....but they sure don't make it easy to find these things out!

Last edited:
It's a snow day and I'm bored....so I looked it up 'cause I'm curious. Go to http://www.wicomicocounty.org/DocumentCenter/View/1190 and scroll down to page 99. Looks like it's OK in residential areas with some restrictions as to space, setbacks, and personal vs. commercial use.

One word of caution. That doc is from 2004. Perhaps it's changed. I can't find a more recent version...perhaps it's just me being stupid.....but they sure don't make it easy to find these things out!

Thanks I had searched and its was hard to find anything.

Back
Top Bottom