MARYLAND THREAD!

Hey my Maryland peeps,

Just started our little flock in Easton MD. We are within City limits off Dutchman's Lane. I don't know of anyone else in the area raising chickens in their backyard Anyone out there in our area? I'd love to see your flock and hear how your neighbors have reacted.

Welcome!
We are in Federalsburg, so about 25 minutes away. We have 3 ducks, and are just outside of town.

you are busy busy!!! and that's not a backyard garden, its a farm!!! the best. My coop arrives tomorrow
ya.gif
im so excited. are you able to sell all the chicks you hatch?

WOOOOHOOOOOOOO
Did ya get it??
hahaha no, nowhere near a farm. Just a little bit of everything in the garden. And believe me, I CRAM it all in there. Im able to sell most of the chicks. Honestly, my run of the mill chicks, I prefer to just give away to people who I believe will enjoy them as much as I do. I will put an ad on Craigslist ever so often for free chicks. It's easier to just sell hatching eggs. I can't get attached to chicks if I never see them. hehe

Hello all!

I am in Baltimore City, and I am considering starting my own little flock. I've done my fair share of research, and I think I can handle pretty much anything that might come up, but I am really concerned about the processing end of things.

I know that it sometimes has to happen, for culling/injury/etc., but I know myself and this isn't something I am going to be able to do myself. Does anyone know of a processor in Maryland who would do small batch processing?

Of course, I am REALLY hopeful that I will never have to use their services, but I want to know the service is there in case I were to need it. I know I'm a wimp, but going DIY on this is simply not going to happen :hmm As I mentioned, this is really the last hurdle I need to get myself and my husband over before we can get our own chickens!

Thanks!
WELCOME TO BYC. It is definitely hard to cull our chickens. Even after all these years, I want to cry if I have to do it. I googled several things to try and find someone for you. Ended up googling "chicken butcher in Baltimore" and found a really good PDF from the University of MD. For whatever reason, I can't put the link on here. My laptop has been acting crazy lately. Maybe I should google "laptop butcher in Huntingtown, MD" hahaha Anyway, I hope that helps ya out.

Hello all!

I am in Baltimore City, and I am considering starting my own little flock. I've done my fair share of research, and I think I can handle pretty much anything that might come up, but I am really concerned about the processing end of things.

I know that it sometimes has to happen, for culling/injury/etc., but I know myself and this isn't something I am going to be able to do myself. Does anyone know of a processor in Maryland who would do small batch processing?

Of course, I am REALLY hopeful that I will never have to use their services, but I want to know the service is there in case I were to need it. I know I'm a wimp, but going DIY on this is simply not going to happen :hmm As I mentioned, this is really the last hurdle I need to get myself and my husband over before we can get our own chickens!

Thanks!
You might try Cabin Creek Heritage Farm in Upper Marlboro.

They are probably my most shy babies right now. Definitely at the bottom of the pecking order unfortunately. They are adorable though. I'm hoping to be able to get them more friendly but well see. My female Plymouth has taken a liking to me and oddly enough, my Plymouth rooster likes to sit with the baby.

That's interesting about the Plymouth Rock. I hatched some about 6 weeks ago. Never had them before now. The one little girl will jump up onto my arm and climb up and get on my shoulder. I can walk around and do chores or garden and she manages to hang on. Never had that happen before ever. The little roo is sweet and will let me pick him up but doesn't come to me like the little girl.

While we are seeking items... I am looking for a young turkey that won't cost me an arm and a leg. Does anyone have a good source for turkeys in southern Maryland (Charles, PG, St. Mary's, Calvert areas)?

WOOOOHOOOOOOOO
Did ya get it??
hahaha no, nowhere near a farm. Just a little bit of everything in the garden. And believe me, I CRAM it all in there. Im able to sell most of the chicks. Honestly, my run of the mill chicks, I prefer to just give away to people who I believe will enjoy them as much as I do. I will put an ad on Craigslist ever so often for free chicks. It's easier to just sell hatching eggs. I can't get attached to chicks if I never see them. hehe
no
sad.png
there was wind advisory on the bay bridge so they could not get across to deliver today, keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow. I was sooo ready. What kind of incubator do you use?

Back
Top Bottom