MARYLAND THREAD!

Just joining on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. I do not have my birds yet but will be getting 4-5 hens in the next few weeks. I would like to get hens that are already laying and am most interested in Orpington (lavender and buff), Laced Wyandotte and Araucana. We have our coop all set up, have feeder and waterer already to go. Would love some advise from fellow Marylanders.

Hi Nyght,I'm on the Eastern Shore also.Not sure where your located,but theres a livestock auction not far from Dover De iv been going to since I was a kid.You can buy adult hens laying already by bidding.Sometimes they've got nice birds their,sometimes they don't.Its called Dills Auction.

Last edited:
Anyone in Maryland have a source or recommendation for soy-free organic poultry food? A lot of what I'm finding near me, if not all, had soy in it. Yet I thought I read/heard somewhere that soy isn't good for chickens. Maybe I dreamed it. Anyway, I figured if I want to control my egg supply/quality, feeding organic food is worth exploring. Thanks!

Anyone in Maryland have a source or recommendation for soy-free organic poultry food? A lot of what I'm finding near me, if not all, had soy in it. Yet I thought I read/heard somewhere that soy isn't good for chickens. Maybe I dreamed it. Anyway, I figured if I want to control my egg supply/quality, feeding organic food is worth exploring. Thanks!
Cutfresh orgarnics in the eastern shore custom makes chicken feed and he can make soyfree if requested.

Still trying to find a home for these guys! 12 in total. Asking $20. Three weeks old. Theres at least 4 different breeds there but im not sure what they are. Really would like to find them a home soon! They are super friendly. Held them for a week for a lady and she backed out. Located in southern maryland. Waldorf.

Last edited:
New Country Organics makes a soy-free layer feed. Purchased at participating stores/vendors--the food is not pelletized and looks like what it is: peas, bran, corn, etc. In my area Health Horse and Pet sells it.

Thanks! Yeah I found New Country Organics online. It'll cost $13 shipping for me from VA, but it may be worth it. It's apparently too suburban where I live, so I can't find a local reseller. We have a TSC and one other farm supply store near me, but they carry what's in high demand, I guess. I'm surprised it's so hard to find soy-free food.

On another note, is anyone going to the Maryland Poultry Swap next Saturday in Sharpsburg? It'll be a long drive for me, but I'm thinking about it. Critters and plants all in one place?! My kind of shopping!

Back
Top Bottom