Maryland Washington County Zoning Laws

HomeGardenGirl

Songster
Feb 12, 2018
Hagerstown MD 21742
We have had chickens for over 2 years and today got a letter complaining our coop is less than 100ft from property lines. We have 4 acres but its a narrow long rectangle and no matter where we put it the coop is less than 100 feet from a left or right property line. We're trying to figure out how to do the appeal process. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!!!

Can you make the point that even within 4 acres it is impossible with the way county platted the land. Second, show that you can place coop x feet from all dwellings and comply. Third, find out about other chicken keepers nearby that comply with their guidelines (often x feet from a dwelling, etc) in a nearby township or similar. Fourth, would the neighbors in either side support your efforts with “not a nuisance” type statements?
Good luck

Ugh that's rough. My lot is similar, 4 acres but long and skinny, so if we had a 100' set back requirement from lot lines I too would not be able to have chickens. Acre4Me has some good suggestions, hopefully you'll be able to get an exemption or even change the ordinance.

Back
Top Bottom