Maryland?!

and any help with how to acquire chix locally. i found a fellow in Hebron that sells biddies 1.25 each not sexed. He has RIR, New Hampshire Reds, Buff Orpingtons, Pearl-White Leghorn, he also has some Turkeys he sold me some for $5.00 each. WE are trying to bread Silver Sebrights, and Silkies both white and balck, and a bunch of muts if anybody wants his phone number pm me.

Quote:
He may be the guy we got ours from. They were supposed to be RIR, but they are mixed breed. They are pretty and nice chickens, but not full blooded RIR's. He also allowed us to trade in roosters for hens. We did trade in 5 of them, but still ended up with 4 more roos.

This is a picture of some of the chickens and our coops. The original coop for the "big girls" (Red sex-links) is on the right, and the little ones coop and run was added on to the left. This picture is before the coop was finished. Notice how light the hens are- and the rooster looks like a RIR, but has white earlobes.

FlockCoops.jpg

Last edited:
you are right about the RIRs mine look more like muts but hey i got them for egg layers, and i thought maybe we could eat the roos are you hatching eggs maybe we could trade egss sometime.

I'm not hatching any, but I have thought about it. I don't have an incubator, so I figure if a hen goes broody, I'll let her hatch. The problem is roosters are so hard to get rid of. I wouldn't even mind giving them away for food, but no one wants them. I still have 1 too many. Out of the 12 babies we got originally, 9 were roosters. So I am afraid to hatch LOL
They are mutts, but they are good looking. And they give me nice eggs ( well, most of them do. A few are late bloomers)

Last edited:
hey now ill take your roosters as long as you dont mind the idea taht they might end up in our stew pot lol. i bought 35 rir and i think we did ok seems we got more hens then roosters. your right they do lay nice eggs mine are just about old enough now to start. we also got 7 white leghorns we got 6 hens and 1 roo there. we had 6 buffs too but a black snake got 3 of them so now we have 3 hens no roosters.

Right now we only have a total of 10 hens and 2 roosters. The little ones are 6 months old. One hasn't started laying yet, and another one is either not laying, or hiding a huge stash somewhere.
I'd rather know a rooster ended up in a stew pot than find out he is mistreated.

Hi guys. Im in Taneytown MD.... it's north of Fredrick and beside Westminster. I have a mess of different birds. If you wnt to come visit, just let me know
smile.png
I love to talk birds
big_smile.png

Quote:
Oh, WoW, peachick- I just looked at your photo album from your signature line. You have such an assortment. You have Silkies and Sebastopols? You are 3 hours or so from me, but I might consider a visit when weather gets warmer. I might be tempted to chicken-nap and goose-nap a few though LOL

Hi everyone! Did it snow by you today? It snowed a tiny bit in Baltimore. I held my RIR, Peep, up to the window and she wouldn't stop talking about it. So I opened their chicken door so the three of them (also a Red Sexlink and a Goldenlaced Wyandotte) could go check that stuff out. All they did was huddle near the door and watch, but they wouldn't go out.
roll.png
My cat was out there chasing flakes and licking the snow. I guess that's why they call chickens "chicken" and cats "curious."

Back
Top Bottom