Mash vs pellets?

So true! I'm too lazy/ busy to bother with fermenting feed, so my mixed flock of layers, cockbirds, pullets, and old ladies, all eat Flock Raiser, 20% protein, with oyster shell on the side for the layers. It comes as crumbles, although I feel there's less waste with pellets. My experience with the locally milled layer mash was not so good and won't be repeated here. If you are trying to compare labels, start with a very good national brand, and compare the local stuff to that. There are feeders that reduce wastage a lot; I bought one of the yellow plastic feeders from Premier1supplies last spring, and it totally eliminated dumped feed! Love it! Again, too lazy/ busy to do a home made feeder. Good food pays off! Mary

I have started a bucket to ferment their current pellet feed :D super excited to try this. The mill feed is actually way better than what I am feeding now, this other mill is cheaper, AND has more protein. I will be switching over asap, but for now I am starting a 'never ending bucket' with what I have on hand.

I called all the different mills today, and I actually found a mill near by that sells 19.5 % layer mash for 8.70 for 50 pounds. I am very excited, all this time and money I wasted driving all the way to tractor supply is soon to be over!
Man. I don't even think I have any mills near me. I've tried googling "feed mill" and nothing comes up. Should I be searching with a different word?

barnie.gif

Man. I don't even think I have any mills near me. I've tried googling "feed mill" and nothing comes up. Should I be searching with a different word?

:barnie

I did 'feed mill' maybe try grain mill? When I did the search 'near me' it didn't work. It showed me places way to far. Try searching by towns like typing in the name of a town and add 'feed mill' after. I'm in PA so we seem to have one in every single little town. The one I found was nestled in a small Amish area only 10 miles away, I didn't even know it existed until yesterday lol!

So true!  I'm too lazy/ busy to bother with fermenting feed, so my mixed flock of layers, cockbirds, pullets, and old ladies, all eat Flock Raiser, 20% protein, with oyster shell on the side for the layers.  It comes as crumbles, although I feel there's less waste with pellets.  My experience with the locally milled layer mash was not so good and won't be repeated here.  If you are trying to compare labels, start with a very good national brand, and compare the local stuff to that.  There are feeders that reduce wastage a lot;  I bought one of the yellow plastic feeders from Premier1supplies last spring, and it totally eliminated dumped feed!  Love it!  Again, too lazy/ busy to do a home made feeder.  Good food pays off!  Mary

Could you tell me more about this yellow plastic feeder? Thanks.

I called all the different mills today, and I actually found a mill near by that sells 19.5 % layer mash for 8.70 for 50 pounds. I am very excited, all this time and money I wasted driving all the way to tractor supply is soon to be over!

:barnie

On Monday call your county extension agent. Location of feed mills should be something they can tell you about, though they may have to do a bit of research first. This is the kind of stuff that job was created to handle.

I ordered the feeder from premier1supplies.com; wonderful helpful people. They have a good website and free catalogs, try the 'Poultry Solutions' catalog.

It's the 'Saturn 15' in the catalog. It can be hung up too. Mary

On Monday call your county extension agent. Location of feed mills should be something they can tell you about, though they may have to do a bit of research first. This is the kind of stuff that job was created to handle.
Funny, I'm always sending folks to their local county ag. extension. I never considered asking my agent about feed mill options. I've lived in this state all my life, and never heard of any mills in this state, and have been in touch with ag minded folks all my life. Will check with them to see if I'm missing something.

Back
Top Bottom