Mass duck killing scheduled for Ocala, FL park

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, goosedragon, you are absolutely right in your post. I work in a History Dept., and while American is not my field, my colleagues have shown me many American History text books that cite the muscovy as one of the first animals to be domesticated by the native population of Florida (i.e.-- They are a heck of a lot more native that WE are!! So, who's the 'nuisance' species now?!?)

I have written to Ocala officials explaining as you do here that an agressive education program teaching park patrons about the negetive effects of feeding wildlife could solve their problem in a far more humane, less expensive manner and be far less of a public relations debacle. Without supplimentary feeding, the birds are going to fly to greener pastures.

If anyone else on this site would like to do the same, here are some links to make it easy:
Director of Parks and Rec, Kathy Crile '[email protected]'; the Mayor: Randy Ewers '[email protected]'; and head City Councilman Kyle Kay '[email protected]'

Also, there is a petition to sign if you are interested: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/3/protect-florida-muscovies

I
feel like these city officials do OWE these birds something because they didn't bother to insitute preventative messures to manage the flock (like public education about feeding) when it was 25 ducks, and now they want to take the easy way out. If muscovies were not flighted, then perhaps the 'culling' as a 'humane' measure would make more sense. But, as it stands this seems to be an unneccessary lazy man's way out to me. Finally, I know many people who frequent this park, and all of them that I have asked say that they appreciate the presence of the ducks, and do not feel that they are overpopulated or causing problems. One of them called the ducks the "Central part" of her park-going experience.

Thank you for reading!!!

Quote:
How about some of your non-native humans:lol: When I was in the Navy (40+ years ago) I only ran across 1 man out of all the men from Florida who was born there! I suppose things have changed a bit as the men I served with probably returned there and cranked out 2nd and 3th generation "natives"?

Quote:
That's wrong.

I have been in the "reptile community" for more than 10 years. Florida has put restriction after restriction against reptile keepers. You are required to obtain permits, as well as have your facility/home inspected, for several species. They have even tried to outlaw "Non-native" species.... Florida has done more regarding reptiles than they have regarding these ducks.

Quote:
Wow, i never knew that.When they showed the picture there was one hiding in a tree. i was like check that duck out....lol
Wonder how much that job pays...WANTED EGG SHAKER IN OCALA....LOL

Do you have any unemployed teens? We are crawing with them. Online, Research has been done on this problem, seems that Muscovy are a special case. You don't want to take the eggs, she will just start a new nest elsewhere. They recomend leaving 2 viable eggs per nest and treat the rest so they won't hatch. Mama Mosvovy will then spend 35 days hatching out her 2 babies and up to 12 weeks caring for her new ducklings before she comes back into egg production and the cycle starts over again. The population will still grow but it won't explode!

Iheart'scovies :

I feel like these city officials do OWE these birds something because they didn't bother to insitute preventative messures to manage the flock (like public education about feeding) when it was 25 ducks, and now they want to take the easy way out.
Thank you for reading!!!

Please explain what preventative measures can be taken to stop people from around the entire nation from feeding the park ducks?

I work for a city as a street maintenance worker, we have put up NUMEROUS signs explaining how feeding the local ducks is detrimental to the ducks themselves and unhealthy for them.......the funny thing is people feed the ducks right by the signs. So, now what is next, spending tens of thousands of dollars posting a cop there? Exactly what would be your plan to stop the feeding frenzy?

Do you think you could find enough PERMANANT HOMES for these birds? If you think you can, contact the city mentioned in the article and sign a contract with them saying that you will remove ALL muscovies unharmed and you WILL relocate them to homes a great distance away, and you must provide vetrinary care to all the injured and sick ones as well, and if you do not meet the standards of the contract, the city will come in and do what was intended at the beginning and send the bill for the project to you.

Now i dont know about Florida and how they handle situations, but in California i think we have the most animal rights members in the country that are willing to protest and voice their opinon for the lives of different animals, but they are not willing to get down and dirty and handle the situation themselves in the way they think it should be handled. Take the mountain lion initiative here, the people of California voted to stop all hunting of lions, and now there is a real problem with the lions living on the outskirts (and some in town) and making easy meals out of Fifi the dog and Garfield the cat, and guess what, citizens are complaining for their safety for something they caused..........

Its easy for people to say things should be done different, especially when an animals life is at stake, but unlike some people on this site and others, i have grown up on a ranch all my life and although i like animals and the sounds and sights they provide, i have no problem killing them for food or if they are injured enough that i cant fix it myself.​

Quote:
Wow, i never knew that.When they showed the picture there was one hiding in a tree. i was like check that duck out....lol
Wonder how much that job pays...WANTED EGG SHAKER IN OCALA....LOL

Do you have any unemployed teens? We are crawing with them. Online, Research has been done on this problem, seems that Muscovy are a special case. You don't want to take the eggs, she will just start a new nest elsewhere. They recomend leaving 2 viable eggs per nest and treat the rest so they won't hatch. Mama Mosvovy will then spend 35 days hatching out her 2 babies and up to 12 weeks caring for her new ducklings before she comes back into egg production and the cycle starts over again. The population will still grow but it won't explode!

Yews, i have one teen. And with her grades i should make her help FREE OF CHARGE, LOL. The gray hair that she gives me!!

Well good on you cawoodduck!

"Please explain what preventative measures can be taken to stop people from around the entire nation from feeding the park ducks?"

Oh I don't know how about a fence? Probably would need two, one to keep the people out of tosing range of the ducks, and the other to keep the ducks away from the people.

Is there an actual law against feeding the ducks? Since you are a street maintenance worker how effective are your anti-litter laws? Do they help even a little bit? I know the $500 fine in my area makes me think twice before I toss a soda can. What do you get if you toss a lit butt that causes your famous CA wildfires?

Hi cawooduck,

Well, part of the difference is that public education (even signs and flyers, not going so far as a duck cop;))hasn't beed tried yet in this case, and although the case you have seen was not totally succesful (are you sure , though, that it did not help??) does not necessarily mean that it is not going to work anywhere else, or at least to try before we resort to slughtering hundreds of birds, don't you think? My problem with this is that they are choosing to do what is easiest for them, not what is right. And, it is these city & Parks and Rec officials' jobs to handle these matters in a way that properly represents the needs and values of their constituents... jobs that they get paid quite handsomely for I might add. Because they have failed to properly perform an aspect of their positons by exercising flock management and public education early on does not some how make it my job to collect every bird, nor does it mean that I must otherwise forfiet my right to vocally disagree with what they are doing. Especially because, even if they go through with this kill off, if their approach does not change it is simply going to happen again. Thus, I encourage other Florida residents and any other interested parties to convey their concerns to the people in the positions of power here (listed in my last post), including suggestions that they might have about alternative options. I did just this, because I do agree with you that it is easier to complain than it is to solve the problem. I don't think that people need to be rude or abusive, just take citizen action if you disagee with this as I do! Thanks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom