Massacre of 2017

mike harrington

Chirping
Jun 4, 2017
Southern MD
So since I've gotten my flock since early this year I have slowly lost 99% of them and the last one lost being just a few days ago. That leaves me with 1 hem left and she was the escape artist who showed the other how to escape and by fly through a small section. Since I am down to 1 I have noticed a change in her behaviour by staying inside the coop most of the time, so I look at trying to give her away until I remodel their run or is it healthy for her to be alone.
Thanks

Chickens prefer to live in flocks. You are probably better off rehoming here, then working on your chicken keeping area until you have it well secured so you don't lose them. It's just so disheartening sometimes, very sorry for your losses. Here is hoping you can tighten up your area to keep your future chickens safe!

I have had a flock for years, and had a huge hit with a predator this year too, so discouraging.

Really it will work either way. If you look around you, check the feed store, check the poultry club, you might find someone who would let you have a couple of hens. Even older hens would be nice. The days are getting longer, and they should all start to lay. Just pick up one or two...then plan to add chicks in the spring.

People fret about bringing in a disease, but really you have lost pretty much everything, don't take anything you feel sorry for, but healthy generally looks healthy.

Or you can wait till spring and start over, keeping this one by herself for a couple of months is not the end of the world for a chicken.

Or you can let someone else have this bird, but a single bird addition is tough.

Mrs K

.... Or you can wait till spring and start over, keeping this one by herself for a couple of months is not the end of the world for a chicken....

In the past I have had hens who ended up by themselves for a variety of reasons. They lived like Robinson Crusoe for up to two years. One of them I was never able to recapture. In 6 to 8 months this one game hen had become as wild as a pheasant and as free as the wind.

Back
Top Bottom