massacre on bairlea farm

That is so terrible. I'm sorry that happened to your birds and you.

Please let us know if you find out what did this.

Quote:
Yes they do my dog treed 6 coons in three trees all at once. So sorry what a sad sight to come home too!
hugs.gif
it has been a bad year here too!!
duc.gif

I dont have a run. The coop door opens to unlimited space. Ive seen a ton of coons on the road here. You know I didnt have alot of money tied up in them and I wasn't real close to them. Its just sucks loosing a quarter of the flock. Thanks guys.

a coon got into my coop before I closed it up one night last week--I only had one bird missing and alot of feathers. I found her with a spotlight that night several hundred feet from the coop hunkered down in the grass in a field--she is fine minus a few tail feathers and way traumatized--she refuses to go back in the coop in the evening now. Maybe some will show back up....So sorry for you--that feeling of finding all those feathers is indescribable......makes your heart sink
sad.png
I got him in a trap night before last--he is no more!!!!

yeah, some might show back up. when something attacks the chickens like that, they will take off for the tall timber. i found a big pile of white feathers in my yard [ i have 2 calif. whites ] and one of the girls was not to be seen. she reappeared in 3-4 hours, with her left eye put out. i suspected a hawk, s this was real close to my house and the middle of the day. she has basically recovered now, but blind on her left side.

Although is could be any number of things, this looks much like our run after a raccoon (or group of raccoons) pulled apart the netting and "dropped" in on the girls. Very similar scene. We are less three raccoons since that incident.
big_smile.png

Quote:
They can pull apart the netting? I have to say - Im quite surprised by these predators. I had some scratch grain in a sealable container and I kept seeing this squirrel. It ripped off the hinged cover on the container! Either that or a coon did and left it open for its friends.
somad.gif

Back
Top Bottom