Massive bloated relatively hard abdomen on hen.

zach_arneth

Chirping
Mar 5, 2018
a hen of my has been acting lethargic and having her tail feathers down, so I checked her abdomen and it was absolutely massive and relatively hard. I checked for an egg stuck (lubed glove up vent 2 inches) and there was nothing. She is breathing with her whole body and was eating and drinking fine, as well as moving. We gave her a warm bath and so far nothing.

How old is your chicken, and does she lay eggs? Ascites or water belly, internally layed lash egg material from salpingitis, egg yolk peitonitis, or cancer could be possibilities. If you have a vet who would see her, xrays could be done to see if the abdominal contents is solid or fluid. Many times when they seem to be suffering and need to be put down or they die, we do a necropsy or autopsy to look at the abdominal organs for answers. There are previous photos of necropsies here on BYC, online, and their are videos of necropsies.

How old is your chicken, and does she lay eggs? Ascites or water belly, internally layed lash egg material from salpingitis, egg yolk peitonitis, or cancer could be possibilities. If you have a vet who would see her, xrays could be done to see if the abdominal contents is solid or fluid. Many times when they seem to be suffering and need to be put down or they die, we do a necropsy or autopsy to look at the abdominal organs for answers. There are previous photos of necropsies here on BYC, online, and their are videos of necropsies.
She is about 2 years old as of now, and unfortunately I haven't been able to isolate her long enough to know if she lays. We have a flock of 21 but I will know more over the next few days (if she makes it that long).

Back
Top Bottom