Maternal vs Paternal Heritability

SourRoses

Free Ranging
13 Years
Feb 2, 2011
Florida
Hi guys!
I wanted to make a thread where we could talk about traits that pass more readily from hens or roosters in a pairing.
For instance, I have read that egg color is passed more from the rooster.
Is the same true for egg size?
Somewhere else (less verified) someone stated that feather type is more influenced by the hen. True/False?
What about body size? Egg size? Leg color? Comb type? Other traits?

Since roosters are passing on more genes in general (right?) would they be a better choice for almost all pairings where you were trying to breed in certain traits? What traits might you look to use a hen for?

Usually I see equal amount of certain traits from both parents. That most of the time anyways. I have an EE cockerel like this, but he didn't inherit the barring from the fathers side.

Occasionally I'll get offspring that look more like one of the parents then the other. But that's just how genetics works.

From my knowledge of genetics as a science (as opposed to my ignorance about much of the specific genetics of many chicken traits), if a trait is not sexlinked then it will be inherited equally from either parent. :)

The rooster is half the flock, however, because he's the father of all the chicks while usually they have a number of different mothers.

I bred a RIR hen to a LS roo, and the pullet got the white of the roo, but the eggs were definitely like the RIR. A lot darker brown.
So I'm doubtful of roos passing on egg colour.

This is one, but not the only thing I've seen about it:

Understanding Egg Color Genetics

At least one (probably 2 or more) porphyrin gene is on the sex chromosomes (W/Z). This means that reciprocal crosses between two different breeds using for example a male Silver Laced Wyandotte on a blue egg laying breed will give different results than crossing a blue egg rooster to Silver Laced Wyandotte females.

Another I remember had to do with commercial laying operations, that they choose breeding roosters based on the laying traits of his mother + grandmother, in order to arrange the most effectual improvement.
The way it was worded in no way said that males egg genes were exclusively responsible (of course not), only that he was more than 50% responsible.

Likewise, I had seen something about Broilers size, that they emphasize the build of the hens used for breeding... but the way that one was worded it could merely have been that it was more challenging to obtain the size on hens and thus was valuable in a breeding program.

I have been looking for my sources off and on since I posted this thread, lol. It may take me a while longer, if I even saved it at all. As an introverted thinking type I tend to remember the content of what I read and if I thought it was reliable source at the time, rather than what extroverted thinking types do in remembering every study or authoritative source they ever see 🙃

Last edited:
This is one, but not the only thing I've seen about it:

Understanding Egg Color Genetics

Another I remember had to do with commercial laying operations, that they choose breeding roosters based on the laying traits of his mother + grandmother, in order to arrange the most effectual improvement.
The way it was worded in no way said that males egg genes were exclusively responsible (of course not), only that he was more than 50% responsible.

Likewise, I had seen something about Broilers size, that they emphasize the build of the hens used for breeding... but the way that one was worded it could merely have been that it was more challenging to obtain the size on hens and thus was valuable in a breeding program.

I have been looking for my sources off and on since I posted this thread, lol. It may take me a while longer, if I even saved it at all. As an introverted thinking type I tend to remember the content of what I read and if I thought it was reliable source at the time, rather than what extroverted thinking types do in remembering every study or authoritative source they ever see 🙃
Certain things are passed mother to son or father to daughter. Like milk amount, taste and that sort of thing. But egg shell color is passed evenly to sons and daughters

You see most chromosomes chickens have are the normal shape.
But sex chromosomes are special. Females have W and Z and males have two Zs. Traits that are on the Z chromosome are only inherited from the father on females. Males get a Z from each parent. These are sex linked genes.
Most genes aren’t sex linked but quite a few are. Some quantitive traits without assigned genes seem to have it where one parent has more effect than the other in determining the outcome.
There is a sex linked gene associated with dark shell color

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom