Mating behaviors of Parakeets

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by LuvinMyPeeps, Apr 6, 2012.

1. LuvinMyPeeps

LuvinMyPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Powhatan, VA 23139
    I bought what I was told are a pair of Rosy Bourke Parakeets at a swap a year ago. I was told they were young, 3-6 mos at that time. They are in a very roomy cage (huge for a parakeet) with a divider, 6 feet wide x 2.5 feet deep x 4 feet high. They have toys, pine shaving for their flooring, clean water and food available at all times, etc....When can I expect them to mate? One bird is fluttering/flying and it seems like they are playing with each other, almost like one is trying to mate the other, but I'm not sure.

Right now they have a square next box on the ground - I assume I should mount it on the side of the cage? Should I fill it with anything or provide straw for them to do it themselves?

I was also thinking about sending their feathers off for sex testing to be sure I have a m/f pair.

What do you think? Any advice you can give me?

2. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Id put the box on the side of the cage, increase daylight will put them into condition to breed. You could put pine shavings in the box i dont own bourkes so im not sure how they nest. But the most they will do is take out the shavings making sure there a pair would help as well. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by