Mating or practice/dominance in young ducks

Colley12

Songster
Aug 26, 2022
Oregon
My runner flock is about 4 months old, one of my drakes Blacky has been mating or at least mounting the same willing female, pretty much daily. I'm not sure if he is just getting the hang of it/practicing and nothing is happening, or he is actually getting it done. The other female is now presenting herself too.

I've seen the ducks at my sister's mate, and when the drake is done, when he runs away his penis is out. Which from what I've read, that needs to happen, right?

So far with mine, I have not seen a penis externally. So he probably isn't doing the deed? Maybe just practicing or dominance?

They aren't laying or anything, so no rush... Just trying to understand the society they've created in my back yard a little better...

My runner flock is about 4 months old, one of my drakes Blacky has been mating or at least mounting the same willing female, pretty much daily. I'm not sure if he is just getting the hang of it/practicing and nothing is happening, or he is actually getting it done. The other female is now presenting herself too.

I've seen the ducks at my sister's mate, and when the drake is done, when he runs away his penis is out. Which from what I've read, that needs to happen, right?

So far with mine, I have not seen a penis externally. So he probably isn't doing the deed? Maybe just practicing or dominance?

They aren't laying or anything, so no rush... Just trying to understand the society they've created in my back yard a little better...
He'll get there in time!! Especially as the females are willing nothing to worry about at this time.

Back
Top Bottom