Mating problem 4 to 1

Also they lack the ability to forage, so they would starve in a weeks time.
yes thank you! I didnt mean to sounds like it was a random pond. She has a barn near the pond for nighttime. And she would feed them and visit them, she comes here to my place just to visit with them. I know she would take good care of them, even so, I hate to let them go...

yes thank you! I didnt mean to sounds like it was a random pond. She has a barn near the pond for nighttime. And she would feed them and visit them, she comes here to my place just to visit with them. I know she would take good care of them, even so, I hate to let them go...
It would be for their best interest. You can find females on here or Facebook, Craigslist, Hoobly. You can check any rescues or humane societies as well, sometimes they have some. Remember to quarantine for atleast 2 weeks!

By getting rid of the excess boys you're insuring the little lady's best interest and theirs as well. If this helps any, Mary, think of the new breeds you can get!

Hi all! I’m still new so I don’t know if it’s correct to reply on a current thread if you have questions similar to the topic being discussed.. but here we go...
I have 3 drakes and 10 females. 8 of my girls are almost 5 months old, the other 2 and my drakes are 9 months. The boys tend to fancy the older girls at the moment and they are starting to lose the feathers on the back of their necks. Should I separate my 2 older girls from the flock for a couple months so they stop being favored by the males? They all free range and I have 2 kiddie pools for them but the boys go after them on land 😔. I appreciate any advice! Breeds of males are 2 Pekin ( 1 male is my “special” boy as he is pigeoned toed and has a crooked spine so he’s not as “active” as the other 2) 1 Magpie. Older girls are Pekin and Magpie. Younger girls are 2 of the following breeds: Harlequin, Cayuga, Khaki and Black Runner.

Hi all! I’m still new so I don’t know if it’s correct to reply on a current thread if you have questions similar to the topic being discussed.. but here we go...
I have 3 drakes and 10 females. 8 of my girls are almost 5 months old, the other 2 and my drakes are 9 months. The boys tend to fancy the older girls at the moment and they are starting to lose the feathers on the back of their necks. Should I separate my 2 older girls from the flock for a couple months so they stop being favored by the males? They all free range and I have 2 kiddie pools for them but the boys go after them on land 😔. I appreciate any advice! Breeds of males are 2 Pekin ( 1 male is my “special” boy as he is pigeoned toed and has a crooked spine so he’s not as “active” as the other 2) 1 Magpie. Older girls are Pekin and Magpie. Younger girls are 2 of the following breeds: Harlequin, Cayuga, Khaki and Black Runner.

Right now, how bad are we talking?

I'd keep an eye on those Pekin boys. I once had five females for one pekin drake and he broke a buff orpington's hip bones from over mating. Poor girl had to be put down. I learned the hard way, just to be safe, I would only keep males that were equal or lesser size/weight than the females to prevent serious damage.

If I were to separate any birds, it would be those three males rather than those two females. I'd predict that they'd turn their sights to the younger females if you removed the two ladies. Just my thoughts!

Back
Top Bottom