Matted feathers on silkie chick

RaisingWarriors

Hatching
May 25, 2021
Hello! I am new to this forum and I am needing some advice. My daughter woke up to a spilled watering container in her brooding box. She has gotten all of the chicks and the mama dried, but our sweet little silkie chick (3 weeks old) still looks matted. We're not sure why, as her feathers are dry, but it is really concerning my daughter. I would love some advice about whether this is a problem and what we should do! Thank you!

Hello! I am new to this forum and I am needing some advice. My daughter woke up to a spilled watering container in her brooding box. She has gotten all of the chicks and the mama dried, but our sweet little silkie chick (3 weeks old) still looks matted. We're not sure why, as her feathers are dry, but it is really concerning my daughter. I would love some advice about whether this is a problem and what we should do! Thank you!
Can you post a picture of the chick?

Photos of the feathers

Attachments

• Truffle matted feathers 1.jpg
    Truffle matted feathers 1.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Truffle matted feathers 2.jpg
    Truffle matted feathers 2.jpg
    379.3 KB · Views: 4
Sorry for the late reply, does he still look the same? He looks wet so I’d let him dry out for about a day. If his feathers aren’t back to normal tomorrow then I would just cut off the matted feathers or leave them there because they’ll eventually fix :)
Thank you! This was very helpful! Yes, he (or we hope, she!) still looks the same, but I appreciate your confirmation that the matting will fix on its own. I suspected as much, but since we're new at this. . . . 🤷‍♀️

Thank you! This was very helpful! Yes, he (or we hope, she!) still looks the same, but I appreciate your confirmation that the matting will fix on its own. I suspected as much, but since we're new at this. . . . 🤷‍♀️
No problem!! I’ve had chicks with the same problem before and I didn’t know what to do really so I let him be. The matted feathers eventually “turned normal” I guess lol. If you have any more questions or concerns about your chick let me know, keep us updated :)💖

Back
Top Bottom