Matted horse tail? - What can I do???

Ok since my husband has been a horsetrainer for awhile, I gave this question to him. He said to thin out the tail first, then use a dematter shampoo on the tail with conditioner and try to comb it out in layers. It will take some time.

IF the noise from the spray won't freak him out, you can try Pam cooking spray. You'll have to wash it out later esp if you need a lot.

no joke, a bottle of vegetable oil and a few hours work. soak the tail with the vegetable oil then start at the bottom and pick each strand out with your fingers. works well when your horse loves to roll in sticker bushes too. once the tail is totally untangled/unmatted wash with a good shampoo and then use conditioner. when that drys liberal amounts of show sheen. you do need to give it a good wash rinse repeat with the shampoo or else the tail might smell a little edible and get mankey.

Sometimes you can avoid a lot of cutting by first picking out any burrs, then washing the tail, but pressing and squeezing the soap through rather than rubbing and getting it more matted, and rinsing it without a lot of pulling and pressure. Then soak the mats in show sheen, then carefully start working from the bottom - it takes a lot of patience. Most people get to a point, go like this:
barnie.gif
, and then cut.

Last edited:
Most important: Make sure you start at the bottom and work your way toward the horses butt. Otherwise you're just going to tighten the knots.

I've had luck with Mane n' Tail Detangler and i like the feel it gives it without the stink like MTG. A knife cutting vertically helps too, but make sure you're patient. There's nothing worse than a horse that can't swat flies, not to mention that a chopped off tail isn't very pretty.

CitriShine Anti-Frizz serum....it has silicone in it and works wonders! Probably less expensive than the ones sold for horses, but that is only a guess. I would wash it, rinse and while it is still wet, apply the CitriShine and just work at it with your fingers and then a very large toothed comb. You can leave it in and it will help keep it from becoming entangled once again.

So here's a hint - use any/all of the remedies above and leave them in OVERNIGHT, especially if you're using something that really penetrates like WD-40/cowboy magic. A lot of the hair will have worked loose by the next day by itself; you'll be in better shape when you start.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom