Matzo Ball soup anyone??

KDbeads

Songster
10 Years
Aug 20, 2009
East Central VA
Decided to have some tonight. Comfort food. Been a long few days. Made a large batch of the mix last night but was really wanting to rake hubby over the coals.... he broke into the matzo cracker stash and ate half of them
barnie.gif
It's hard enough trying to find matzo meal within 60 miles of me so I stock up on the crackers for backup when I find them.... Only had enough to make ONE 2 cup batch. Now I have to hunt more down
he.gif
At least I'm going down past to Kerrville next week to pick up a few pullets ... I've found the meal down there on occasion.

Anyone else here make it?

Ohhhhhhhhh .. I watched Bobby Flay do a Matzo Ball soup Throwdown the other nite .. been craving it ever since...

yummy

Saw that too.... Mine is way simpler though.... just meal, eggs, olive oil, a little water, salt and parsley for the balls... plain old broth to cook and serve in... I'm making myself hungry
droolin.gif

Easy to make!!

2 cups matzo meal or ground up matzo crackers
8 large eggs
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt (add more if you want, we are on low sodium diets)
2 to 4 tbsp water
1 tbsp parsley flakes

Mix all but water with a fork, it gets stiff, add just a little water if it seems dry but don't make it soupy! Leave in fridge overnight, I leave the fork in as well. (if you still see dry bits of meal you need to add a touch more water, if the fork doesn't stand up on it's own you added too much water) Next day wet hands and use fork to scoop out quarter sized pieces of mix, roll into ball in hands and set on parchment paper. Make larger or smaller balls if you want. At this point you can freeze the balls for later use if you like.
Heat whatever broth/stock you want to use boiling, reduce heat to a simmer and drop in balls carefully, simmer for about 45 minutes. They will double in size. DO NOT BOIL, they will fall apart.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks for the offer!
What really bothers me is I can't find anything out here that I'm used to cooking with. I've lived everywhere and got really spoiled with having so many different types of food... I have to buy my Japanese food staples online, same with Greek and Mediterranean...... I'm even having to make my own pita bread when we have falafel, not that it's a bad thing just very labor intensive in a small tiny cramped kitchen.

I'm thinking either Wonton or Miso soup for our next cold snap....

Back
Top Bottom