Mauled by dog, 4 days later

Thanks so much for the check in. She continues to eat and drink and I keep cleaning the wounds with Vetricin and putting on some calendula ointment that was recommended. However, I feel like I need to have a chicken version of the dog 'collar of shame', they have to wear to not lick wounds. She is definitely trying to pick and clean the areas and today there was one visibly dead piece of skin I was able to cut, but there lots more in question. I worry about the areas she's picked and now have a little fresh blood on them. Thanks again for all the advice & support folks have given me on here, I truly appreciate it!

Hi Deacons, thanks so much for the check in! My girl is doing pretty well I think, though I've been worried at all her picking at the wounds. It does seem like she's gotten off a lot of the dead skin, and overall it looks a whole lot better, but I worry when it looks like fresh blood from her picking. I can't get her to leave on any kind of cream or ointment, which would help the skin to heal more quickly. Thanks again, it's great to have your support!

Glad to hear she's improving. I can't remember, have you used Vetericyn spray on her wounds? I've seen that close up some pretty crazy wounds on horses really quickly, and used it to heal up holes from bumblefoot surgery in my chickens. That may be good for her if she's bothered by the creams, etc. If you use the spray vs. gel, it's just like misting her back with water.

Yes! Vetericyn every day! I was trying to supplement with some calendula ointment, as suggested by our favorite chicken lady at the Grange, but our girl just picks/ eats it all off as soon as it's on. I think I'll just stick with the spray and keep hoping for the best. Lots of new feathers are coming in which is exciting to see! Thanks again.

Do you have access to or can you make a saddle for her? One of my barred rocks had her first big molt this year. But oddly enough when her feathers started coming in, so started pecking at her own back...like to the point it looked like minced meat :( Very bizarre! I was so worried the others would start pecking her as well because she was raw and bleeding. I went online and found a free pattern for a chicken saddle and put it on her...it drove her crazy for a bit because she couldn't peck her back. After a week I tried taking it off...but immediately she turned her head and started pecking! I left it on until her new feathers started opening and then she was okay.

Thanks so much for the chicken saddle idea, I'm still a novice and this is the first I've heard of them! It's the perfect solution. Also......I know chickens dust themselves regularly to control mites, and I'm getting worried about our girl not having good access to the usual dusting spots, because she's still needing to be protected from the other hens for a while. I've read ashes from the wood stove (cold, obviously!) work well, and we've used them in the past with success. But, does anyone have an opinion on whether or not she should get dusted while she has some raw areas still? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom