Maurauding Blue Jay

monarchchick

Hatching
May 23, 2015
I spied a blue jay in our open-during-the-day run/coop, followed by discovering a line of holes punched in an egg in the nest, has happened several times since. Does not break the egg completely, does not empty the egg of yolk, etc. I suspect the jay rather than the hens as this is a first. Any suggestions how to detract the jay?

I spied a blue jay in our open-during-the-day run/coop, followed by discovering a line of holes punched in an egg in the nest, has happened several times since. Does not break the egg completely, does not empty the egg of yolk, etc. I suspect the jay rather than the hens as this is a first. Any suggestions how to detract the jay?
welcome-byc.gif

I have found that a pellet gun has the unique ability to take a blue jay's mind off of everything in this old world and it keeps their mind focused on otherworldly things, for like an eternity.
th.gif

Last edited:
:welcome  

I have found that a pellet gun has the unique ability to take a blue jay's mind off of everything in this old world and it keeps their mind focused on otherworldly things, for like an eternity.:th

You may want to check your state regulations. I was under the impression that most Passerine birds and those of the jay family are federally protected species, so shooting them might land you in some hot water.

If the jay is coming in when the coop is open, that makes this a bit of a challenge. You'll want to make it harder for the jay to access the nest boxes, but still allow the chickens to enter. Does the jay come in from the top, or through the coop door? Pictures of the coop might prove useful in determining what could be done to potentially alleviate the amount of egg damage.

Blue Jays are pretty smart. I used to teach 6th grade & I would often have my door open (6th graders tend to be aromatic when it's hot). All year a blue jay would hang out in a tree, looking in our room. I kept telling the kids it wanted to come in. One day in it came! It zoomed around the room & made 2 or 3 circles before it flew out. Kids were screaming & I was laughing. It never came in again. It had obviously satisfied its curiosity!

Back
Top Bottom