Max temperature difference for chicks

Agathe

Songster
Jun 1, 2021
My chicks are getting close to 4 weeks and mostly feathered in (just a little fluff left around the head). I'd like to move them out to the coop as soon as possible, however the temperatures are low at the moment and not looking to improve much anytime soon. Where they are now it's around 68 F or 20 C, maybe a little less at night. Outdoors it is around 50 F or 10 C at night and 60 F tops during the day. I have no way of lowering the indoor temperature where they are now. So we're looking at a considerable temperature drop, but I'm not sure how much is too much? They do have a heating plate and as far as I have found in the manual, there is no minimal temperature in order to use it. I have a Comfort heating plate, maybe someone here knows. They still use the heating plate occasionally but also sleep outside of it so don't seem to depend on it.

I have an existing flock I want to integrate them with and I've read that they're more likely to be accepted at 4-6 weeks, so I don't want to wait beyond 6 weeks. I'm planning on letting them live in a rabbit cage inside the coop for the first week or so.

That amount of temperature drop will probably be fine at that age.

Ways to ease the transition, if you would be happier doing it more gradually:
--You could move the heat plate outside with the chicks.
--You could take away the heat plate indoors, then wait a few days before putting them outside.
--You could take them outside in the daytime, then bring them back inside at night (no heat plate) for a few days.

That amount of temperature drop will probably be fine at that age.

Ways to ease the transition, if you would be happier doing it more gradually:
--You could move the heat plate outside with the chicks.
--You could take away the heat plate indoors, then wait a few days before putting them outside.
--You could take them outside in the daytime, then bring them back inside at night (no heat plate) for a few days.
Thank you! I'll bring the heat plate outside and move them out in a couple of days. :)

Back
Top Bottom