Max Time Frame for a Broody Hen

Chickenlady1440

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2018
I have eight hens and one rooster. One of my hens went broody and we want baby chicks this spring. Rather than incubate, I decided to let my broody hen become a momma. She had 7 eggs under her, but upon candling today (day 10) none are fertilized. Should I break her from being broody at this point or can I start all over with new eggs under her?

I want to do what is best for her. I do have an incubator as an alternative. Thank you in advance for your help!

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
I have eight hens and one rooster. One of my hens went broody and we want baby chicks this spring. Rather than incubate, I decided to let my broody hen become a momma. She had 7 eggs under her, but upon candling today (day 10) none are fertilized. Should I break her from being broody at this point or can I start all over with new eggs under her?

I want to do what is best for her. I do have an incubator as an alternative. Thank you in advance for your help!
You could get some fertile eggs....or some day old chicks.
I wouldn't wait too long to do either.

Wonder why your boy is not doing his job?

Chickenlady1440

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2018
How old are your birds?
Have you been checking the yolks for fertility when you break them open to eat?
My rooster is about 2 years old and the hens range from 8 months to 2 years old. I do believe I have had some fertile eggs when I cook them.

Top Bottom