May 2021 Hatch - A - Long

Pics
I set my eggs on the 13th so My question is are they due on the 1-3 of May if so I won't be at the farm and I'll have to get my brother's significant other to put them in lockdown.

I set my eggs on the 13th so My question is are they due on the 1-3 of May if so I won't be at the farm and I'll have to get my brother's significant other to put them in lockdown.
They should hatch around the 4th. But you can lockdown early. I lockdown on day 17 normally and have been known to lockdown on day 16 in teh height of the summer. Even with collecting eggs several times a day, our heat causes them to start early. My latest hatch, which is ongoing I had half of them hatch on day 19. I set my incubators at 100 degrees and test them each hatch.

I set 55 Bielefelder eggs for a May 5 hatch. Brand new incubator, so wish me luck!
I’ve been looking for a couple of these in my area. Closest I can find is a couple hours away from me & they were having trouble with the rooster they had in there so they had to switch him out. Waiting to hear how it goes.

My Frizzle/NN eggs are on their way today finally! my foxfire eggs are on day 3.

below are some chicks I hatched and bought some from N40 (The one chicks eye is fine, it is just his inner eyelid. sure wrecks a photo though.)
40b.PNG

40a.PNG

They are not cold, just scared of my camera.

Arrrgh. My broody is suddenly ready to produce mother's day chicks, and the girl who's eggs I want to hatch isn't laying regularly! I didn't realize early enough to start squirreling hatching eggs, and hubby ate the last 2 marans eggs in the basket 😠

Now to decide whether to try a couple older marans eggs that have been in the fridge, wait a couple more days hoping for fresh, or give her random eggs...

Arrrgh. My broody is suddenly ready to produce mother's day chicks, and the girl who's eggs I want to hatch isn't laying regularly! I didn't realize early enough to start squirreling hatching eggs, and hubby ate the last 2 marans eggs in the basket 😠

Now to decide whether to try a couple older marans eggs that have been in the fridge, wait a couple more days hoping for fresh, or give her random eggs...
I’ve done fridge eggs up to 2 weeks in the fridge. I make them room temp by letting them sit out for a few days on the counter. But it’s never a guarantee. Eggs from the fridge lose fertility each day they sit in cold temps.

I think waiting is what I would do because then you know that they’ll be fresh and fertile. Also random eggs would be fun too! You never know what will come out!

I try to be prepared, and have a supply of unwashed eggs that I want to hatch.
Of the three pullets that should be giving me eggs, one still seems to be holding out (10 mos), and the other two are not laying now that there’s a new order in the coop thanks to the broodies. I still have about five or six dozen eggs in the refrigerator, and one or so out. I’m getting an average of two eggs a day thanks to the hatchery hens. They are adults and non broody. As the oldest, they are on top anyway, so don’t care about the missing hens.

Back
Top Bottom