May 2021 Hatch - A - Long

Pics
14 total, one basket of goodness...
20t.PNG

I have one quail due Wednesday, and tomorrow I’m picking babies from a feed store for the broodies. One hatched, and disappeared.
I just put my chicks with the big chickens. They were flying out of the brooder and are almost completely feathered. Mrs Tweedy abandoned the 2 chicks she had. After about 3 weeks she’s done being a mom 🤣

I have a question for you all. Do you elevate one end of your egg carton that you store hatching eggs in and switch which end is elevated several times a day?
I store mine pointed side down and I never move the carton. I’ve never seen a need to do that when hatch rates have been 90%+ even on 2 week old eggs that have been just sitting pointed end down.

I don’t see chickens or any bird store their eggs and move them numerous times before they decide to sit. Usually they just make a clutch of eggs and once there’s enough they sit.

I believe us humans put way too much effort in hatching eggs and it tends to stress us out more than anything.

I have pips and chirps. And I have a pip from miss hissy pants eggs that I put in an incubator. I almost pulled one of them last night while candling then as I gave it a second look a head popped into view so I quickly put it back. That is the one that pipped a bit ago.

I also locked down for Wednesday's hatch.

And I expect chicks from Cackle on Friday.

It's a good thing I made more room in the hydro house this morning that I am using as a brooder room.

Getting chicks from a hatchery is always a gamble. Especially when they then have to live through a feed store. I was prepared with my own warm box (I couldn’t find the Hot Hands, but straw and a knit hat were adequate). I said six chicks. Duckling is 6, and was doing chicken math when she said three LH, and four from an assorted bin. I said okay. It was a fun ten minutes because the woman kept giving her more options. :he Eight chicks later, we are home. I think the broodies are happy. I have to go back down in a bit to be sure.
148297B7-17F8-4E27-81CF-AE05A60D2642.jpeg

I have one chicken egg going into lockdown in 4 days, debating if I should give the egg to a broody or have it wait 2-3 days for its sibling to hatch then slip them under the broody.
Quail eggs are going into lockdown as well in 3 and 4 days so I'll finally have something hatching soon

Back
Top Bottom