MAY HATCH-A-LONG come join in

Update:

Out of the 5 ducks eggs I put in my Hova Bator, only 2 are delevoping, one had a blood ring, and the last two were not fertile. They're due May 15th! The 2 that are delevoping are running around doing backflips and summersaults in their eggs! It's really cool to see that when candling! Today is day 12, only 16 more days for me! After this hatch I'll be setting some more of my LF Buff Brahma eggs!

I'm in. I bought a dozen fertile eggs from a local whole food store. This I will call more like an experiment. I got lured from BYC'er hatching fertile eggs fom Trader Joe's. A couple of my EE hens went broody so I gave them six each to sit on plus I threw in one more for each from my own flock (ISA brown hen, a grand of total 14 eggs of possible viable eggs. I lost my rooster three weeks ago. I just want to find out if the eggs are still fertile.) Goodluck everyone.

Quote:
Oh how cool! I can't wait to do ducks. I also love to watch them dancing in there. My 5 year old likes to imitate what they look like in there.
lau.gif

I'm curious (since I am really new to this) when you find eggs are not developing or have blood rings do you just toss them or do you wait till lock down to make sure they are no longer good.

Last edited:
pop.gif
I'm in! I'm a school teacher, and this is my second attempt at hatching eggs in school. I got a dismal hatch rate last year (3 out of 7 we had hatched), and the hatch was late. But some of them made it and hatched, so I was pleased and counted it as a sucess for my purposes! It's just really hard to keep my school's LG steady and stable in a classroom enviroment, but I am working on doing better this year.

This year we have 6 eggs total, and I set this morning at about 9. Due May 18. One of them is cracked, but I candled it and there might be something alive in there, so I went ahead and put wax on the crack and set it. I'm candling on day 8, and we'll see how it is then.

I'm much less anxious this time around. Here's hoping for some fuzzie butts!
fl.gif

Quote:
Oh how cool! I can't wait to do ducks. I also love to watch them dancing in there. My 5 year old likes to imitate what they look like in there.
lau.gif

I'm curious (since I am really new to this) when you find eggs are not developing or have blood rings do you just toss them or do you wait till lock down to make sure they are no longer good.

Well, I usually wait until about day 15 before I toss them. That way I am SURE that they aren't fertile or have a blood ring.
Have you ever incubated duck eggs before?

Quote:
lau.gif

Well, I usually wait until about day 15 before I toss them. That way I am SURE that they aren't fertile or have a blood ring.
Have you ever incubated duck eggs before?

No. I this is my very first hatch. I am doing chickens and turkeys. We did buy 4 day old ducklings and my son is hoping for a breeding pair.

Back
Top Bottom