May I ask for random sample?

peepinglaura

Songster
10 Years
Mar 9, 2009
I'm wondering if people would mind telling what humidity level they shoot for in the final 3 days with a still air? I'm hearing so many differences- I'm wondering if desired humidity level is more or less standard than I think. I'm keeping it at 65, though I can be swayed
smile.png

Around 60is is about right for me. I honestly believe it depends on where you are located, weather conditions, elevation, etc as to what range is correct for you and I think it depends on the model incubator as well. My brower still air I hatch at about 40%, in the hova I had it was 60 or so.
hu.gif
You will have to do several hatches and see what seems to work best for you.

So how would geography affect desired humidity? Do you mean that in areas that are more naturally dry, the incubator can be drier as well?

Thanks,

Laura

I was told by some knowledgable people that 65% is tooo low, and lo and behold I had trouble hatching these eggs. So I say go higher. Sandy

I do dry hatch (florida) and I don't let mine go over 60% the last 3 days. I find my chicks get sticky if I do.
My humidity to day 18 runs about 45%. I only add about 15ml (about a TBSP) of water to a sliver of sponge on day 18 to bump it up just a tad. When they start hatching the humidity naturally goes up as they dry.

That's interesting. When I lived in Florida I found it humid often, so if geography affects how humid you go, then I'm baffled. Do you live in a humid or dry part of Fl? What is the correlation between climate and incubator humidity level?

I was shooting for a 65% humidity rate, but what I have is 71%. I assume it'll go down by this eve/ tomorrow if I don't add water through the straw system I have going on.

I don't have a still air, but I wanted to give you another "sampling" lol.

I have two cabinet incubators. I keep the humidity around 50% the entire time, incubating, hatching, whatever -- with the local eggs that I've purchased I have had 91-95% hatch rates. With my own eggs, I have had 98-100% hatch rates, and with shipped eggs I have had 65-70% hatch rates.

Quote:
Really? This is all so interesting. And strange. And perplexing. And confusing. And confounding. I guess I'll just keep on keeping on, and if I have a low hatch rate, try something different next time.

Back
Top Bottom