May I have opinions on these Tractor Supply coops?

Truthfully, a bit hotter because there's no breeze. But we could certainly cut windows, cover them with hardware cloth and put awnings. We have lots of left over siding from our garage.

Get the cool air moving in and the hot air moving out and it should be OK then. Use a thermometer to double-check -- heat is a severe problem when you wear a down parka year-round. :D

Would insulation in the roof help?

Not as much as airflow moving under the roof would.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/repecka-illustrates-coop-ventilation.77659/

draft-free-png.3154816

Do you have them fully closed front and back like the one I showed in the other thread?
Yes I fully enclose the coop. It will keep the bedding dry and being a little dark will encourage the hens to lay in the nest boxes. I don’t think buffalo gnats have made it southern Missouri yet. Being able to make the coop dark. Also gives the chickens a place to escape from them. If they do get a foothold there.

I haven't read the full thread, I will after this post and edit if needed

The prefabs are terrible!

My first one I thought was going to be larger than it was, it said it could hold 8. I was definitely disappointed once getting it assembled, it became my chick coop/daytime see-no touch zone, as I comfortably wouldn't put more than 2 full size and that still would feel wrong and small.

We converted a metal shed(8x10), aside from getting ventilation placed where it wouldn't affect structural integrity, it's been the best bet so far. More work to get together, but cheaper than wood.

We also have the tractor supply XL sentinel coop, claims it will hold 14 and I have 4 bantams in it and I comfortably wouldn't put more than 1 or 2 more. It's not terrible with some work/alterations but it's capacity is WAYYY off.

All in all, anything you can find shed/barn or preassembled building is going to be the best bang for your buck.
Check local craigslist/Facebook/newspaper classifieds. People will get rid of them for a reasonable price, some even barter. So definitely look at all your avenues before you make a final decision.

But what about winter? Those seem awfully ... open. Sorry if that seems stupid.
I'm in the upper midwest. My three-sided design worked very well in our cold, snowy winter. The most important things about it are that the three sides must be solid during the winter and that the proportions are important. The solid sides keep the wind from blowing in. The depth to width ratio allows a large enough opening for enough air exchange even without much air current in any one place. The ratio isn't hard - something in the ballpark of 8' wide to 12' or 16' deep. It will scale up in size easily and down in size somewhat. It works when the chickens are using part of a larger building; mine is 4' of the side (from top to bottom) open for a 7'x10' space for the chickens in the 10'x14' shed. For 5 chickens - I don't think the number of chickens matters as long as they aren't overcrowded but I'm not sure how crowded is overcrowded.

i have open windows, eave vents, and ridge vents during the summer. I sometimes open the main doors of the shed too.

The third picture is the main doors open. They really haven't needed them open, I had them open to clean the dust out. They are that big to let a riding mower fit in if we ever sold the place and the buyers didn't want chickens. Unless I'm cleaning, one of the doors is locked shut and the other is the 3' wide people door. I like being able to carry pine shaving bales, feed bags, and buckets through a wide door.

Lol, I see the pictures were taken in early spring. The pool noodles are out from the eaves and gap along the top of the windows but the windows are still in the window openings.

Attachments

• 022D50AF-AB17-4754-BE10-3EEA77FCAB86.jpeg
    022D50AF-AB17-4754-BE10-3EEA77FCAB86.jpeg
    704 KB · Views: 7
  • 9455DBB6-AED1-442F-BE7F-E34DDF64510D.jpeg
    9455DBB6-AED1-442F-BE7F-E34DDF64510D.jpeg
    678.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 5BA5A0B6-5D08-49FC-83CD-18338DED2C50.jpeg
    5BA5A0B6-5D08-49FC-83CD-18338DED2C50.jpeg
    723.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Would insulation in the roof help?

I'm starting to lean toward that just because I could have a larger area for less cost. We don't keep anything of value in it but the mower so really it doesn't even matter if rain comes in so long as it's not on the equipment (or the chickens). We could install a roof vent or two...depending on cost.
I agree that it would not help as much as good ventilation.

A little rain comes into my chicken shed with an open side (by the chickens; the supply end has walls), big windows, eaves, and ridge vent. It is much ess than I thought would come in. I wanted the eaves at least 12" wide and got 9". Anyway, what does come in gets only absorbed very quickly by the deep litter. Quickly enough that never more than a thin layer is wet even in long, heavy rain storms.

Some if this should apply even if you use a different design than the open side.

Yes I fully enclose the coop. It will keep the bedding dry and being a little dark will encourage the hens to lay in the nest boxes. I don’t think buffalo gnats have made it southern Missouri yet. Being able to make the coop dark. Also gives the chickens a place to escape from them. If they do get a foothold there.
I built three of these coops to use as breeding/grow out coops. I can open the side and the full inside gable. Plus there are three roost in the run.

Attachments

• 433AD958-F454-4296-953C-E5E44BCCB4AD.jpeg
    433AD958-F454-4296-953C-E5E44BCCB4AD.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 8
Where exactly do I find those? Seriously, I have no idea.
We got ours from an Amish shed place. You will have do your research in your area. I'm in pa and got it from around Lancaster. The only hitch you may run into is get home. Some of them don't deliver. But you can buy a nice size shed with good ventilation (aka has windows) and just add nesting boxes. That's another option.

Get the cool air moving in and the hot air moving out and it should be OK then. Use a thermometer to double-check -- heat is a severe problem when you wear a down parka year-round. :D

Not as much as airflow moving under the roof would.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/repecka-illustrates-coop-ventilation.77659/
So our shed is shaped like this. Placing vents like this would be sufficient? I'm thinking of one's with louvers to keep rain out and covered with screen? Maybe a window or two with covers hinged at the top like bahama shutters. There's no electricity so windows would be a good thing.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220730-095346.jpg
    Screenshot_20220730-095346.jpg
    558.5 KB · Views: 7
I think for the money you could build a much better coop.but if time is of the essence..I would go with the cheaper metal one..it would be adequate for now and the metal would be stronger..you'll end up getting hooked and need more room anyway 🤣so look at it as an investment...and resale value..I've inherited the one you posted for 600 and I simply use it to house the sick and quarantine....

Back
Top Bottom