Maybe a rooster?? (Pic Heavy)

jdr250

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 24, 2008
Hi I was wondering if I possibly had a rooster slipped in with my red sex pullets. He/she was much lighter than all the others at a day old only two red stripes down it's back. I read that roosters tend to feather in slower than hens well the light one has probably half the feathers that the others that are the same age have and it's still very light. They will be 3 weeks on Wednesday.
These are pics of the chick in question
100_5821.jpg

100_5822.jpg

These are pics of one of the other chicks
100_5828.jpg

100_5826.jpg

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I don't mind having a roo, but I would like to know as a friend wants to give me an adult roo when my chicks get older but I don't want to have 2 roos.

yea, that's right. two may be a problem. I had one chick extra light last year and was a hen after all. She was a runt too. She still is light on the breast and belly. Check out your chicks behaviour. Maybe if it more aggressive, it could be a roo.My husband got 8 chicks last year and didn't know what they were. I had to separate them sometimes one by one to see who way laying. They all turned out to be hens. 4 Golden Comets and 4 RIR. I sold the reds. they weren't as calm as my goldens. I love that breed. I plan to get more. I sold the reds in the paper and by the calls I got you'd think I was selling gasoline for a dollar a gallon. I was suprised.
best wishes!!! Julie

It's actually not a runt just as big as the others maybe even bigger than some, just not feathering out like them at all. The only thing it will do behaviour wise is run and flap his wings and jump into the group of chicks feet first, but then I've seen some of the other chicks do that too. This is definately quite a challenge figuring it out.

J&A Loveshack Ranch :

I sold the reds in the paper and by the calls I got you'd think I was selling gasoline for a dollar a gallon. I was suprised.

This is what scares me. How much will the prices of livestock go up with these gas & food prices now? Ugh.​

Behavior in a young chick is not necessarily going to tell you hen from roo; especially with some breeds. My buff roo is the biggest scaredy cat (or should I say chicken s**t?) in my growing flock. My other boys are not more aggressive either.
Are his wing bows (shoulders) still bare? They appear to be. Can you get a good pic of his comb?

I will do that as soon as I wake up more...lol I hate mornings

Ok, I'm awake now;) The chicks are 3 weeks old today.
Here are some pics of the comb, they seem a little blurry sorry
100_5863.jpg

100_5862.jpg

100_5859.jpg

and here are some pics of the chick that I'm wondering abouts back to compare with one of the other chicks
100_5852.jpg

and here is one of the other chicks back view
100_5855.jpg

In the red sex link, the females are primarily red while the males are primarily white at time of hatching. Hard to see the comb due to the blurriness of the pics. I know very little about the breed, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you have yourself a roo. Don't hold me to it.
wink.png

Red Stars are made by crossing daddy RIR with mommy Delaware (white) so that when they are born, the red ones are female and the whites are male. Some of my hens are lighter than others but none are as light as yours. I would bet rooster.

Thanks everyone. Now this may be stupid but as it gets older, how will I know for sure that it is a roo? Will there be something specific or will I just have to wait and see if he lays eggs or not?

Back
Top Bottom