maybe an odd question, in reference to bumblefoot/staph

imaturtlefan

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 31, 2011
I have 2 hens that have bumblefoot. I didnt know what it was, or anything about it, till researching, and I came across the pics on here of how to treat it. In the photos there were no gloves used or anything, so I did as the photos, and directions said. I did not realize till later that its a staph infection. My hen splashed me with the water I was soaking her foot in, and a little went into the corner of my eye. Has anyone gotten a staph infection from their chicken while treating? If Id have known, Id have had gloves, and goggles on. I put a call into my dr. waiting for a response, but Im a little worried...its my eye! Anyone have any input, or experiences?

I did 2 hens last night... I think it was the 2nd hen, but cant remember if it was before or after
sad.png
Wish theyd hurry up and call back.

whenever you are treating an infected area, always wear gloves, and goggles if splashing is a possibility! Has your Dr. called back? Do you have any itching/burning to your eye? Redness or drainage? Yes, flush with water or natural tears, the body has an amazing way of fighting off infections tho as well. Let us know what happens!!

Still no word from the dr, I put the call in a couple hrs ago or so, but its not my Dr. He isnt in, so I had to leave a message for the nurses of another Dr. Anyway... I called the urgent care I sometimes use, they said to just watch it, if anything starts looking weird or anything, I should go to my Dr. or the E.R. if my Dr isnt in. So... still hoping to hear from the other Dr. because I like more definitive answers than that... but thats what Ive got so far.

Don't bother with the regular doctor. Call an opthomologist (not just an optomatrist). I have never yet had an eye doctor (the real ones who are MDs) not get back to me ASAP when there was any concern about my eyes, and I have been chastised by them for not calling at the first inkling that something MIGHT be wrong.

well, the regular doc hasnt called me back, so I just did some more research online...apparently (and I got this from several sources, cause I dont beleive everything I read) people get staph infections in their eye frequently. Thats what a stye is...so, thats a lot less scary that what I was afraid might happen. So I guess Ill just watch and see.

and the Dr finally called back...they said its nothing to worry about, keep an eye on it, but he said it probably wouldnt do anything anyway since I washed my eye after... yay
smile.png
always good to hear when something I worried about isnt a big deal.

Back
Top Bottom