Maybe dislocated leg?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by svalentine, Oct 11, 2011.

1. svalentine

svalentine Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2010
    Efland NC
    3 Days ago I found a Buff Orpington sitting on the ground below the egg hatch. It is about 4 ft high. The girls like to fly up there and then fly down. The Orpies have a bit of a harder time than the lighter birds. Some of them don't even try.
    So my thinking is she tried and failed and fell in a position that she couldn't land properly.
    There is no visible break in her leg. But she puts no weight on it. It is sort of dangling. I put her in a nest of shavings in the garage away from the others where she can rest.
    The first day she was panting alot. She would attempt to stand up and balance with her wing.
    The second day she seemed calmer. No panting. But she's not attempting to stand. So she is just sitting there.
    She is eating and drinking and of course pooping. No eggs.

So is there any hope for a chicken with a leg injury.? And if so, how long will she need to stay in?

I don't want her to be in pain. But want to give her the chance to heal if possible.

After this happened, I have made it so they can't get up there anymore.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. myfester

myfester Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2009
    Oxford, PA
    How did your hen turn out. I just went to my coop to see one of my roosters with a dangling leg. My guess is he dislocated his hip or broke something while jumping off the perch. The boys can get pretty rowdy in the morning. Have the same question...Is there hope for him? He's very calm about it but can't walk an inch. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by