Maybe "she's" a he?!

Chickpea M

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 11, 2013
Most likely, "in the garden"!
Hey y'all. I'm wondering your thoughts on my 20 week old (plus 2 days) Black Austrolorp. This is my first flock of chickens so im new to raising them but I'm thinking she's a he even though it was sold to me as a girl. (At one day old, from my local feed store) I have another Austrolorp that I'm certain is a girl. ( Ill post her picture first) It hasn't started crowing yet so I can't go on that. Can the same breed develop so differently? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Hen or Roo? Thank you!

The reason her face is getting red and her comb and wattles are getting larger is because she's probably about to start laying :) be on the lookout for eggs!

Thanks for your relplies! My Buff Orpington started laying 2 days ago! They are all the same age, i have 5. I'm assuming they're all getting ready, all of their combs and wattles are becoming more red and pronounced. This girl just so much more. But am happy to hear the replies that she's probably a hen! she is my favorite of the flock. Sweet as can be. :) My husband said if "she" crows we're having rooster stew. So fingers crossed!! Lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom