Mayday tree berries

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by AK Baha, Aug 30, 2013.

1. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    Did a search on this but could not find any info. Does anybody know if my birds can eat mayday berries? My neighbor has one right on our property line.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    That seems to be a name for one of the bird cherries? Do you have any idea exactly which one it is? They seem to be closely related to chokeberry. Around here they recommend chokeberry to plant for wildlife especially birds. Don't know that I would purposely feed a bunch of any of them to chickens, but just picking some up here and there probably would not hurt them.
    http://www.missouribotanicalgarden....inder/plant-details/kc/g980/prunus-padus.aspx
    http://plants.usda.gov/plantguide/pdf/cs_prvi.pdf

3. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    It is a European. I live in Alaska and it is considered an invasive species,Moose can die from it at certain times of year.Last year I found a wax wing bird in the middle of the road,picked him up and brought him to the vet.They said " yea we get them all the time he is just drunk' they give them caffeine warm em up and let them go. It is from eating mayday berries in the winter time after they ferment. Happy birds in AK!!

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    OK, almost has to be Prunus padus then. Pretty much the same as chokecherry so far as feeding to chickens I would think. Never thought about moose having problems with them, but since the wild cherries can kill cows, guess it makes sense. Kind of funny about the bird, at least it turned out well for him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by