Mazuri Gamebird Or Kalmbach Feed For Ducks & Geese?

Is the Mazuri really that much better? I can get Purina Duck Pellets 40lbs for like $18 at farm stores... I'm having a hard time with spending that much more for duck food... am I crazy?
No, of course you are not crazy. Not everyone lives in a location with a nearby feed/farm store, though. Getting heavy bags delivered right to one's front porch, with free shipping, can be very desirable, too. Plus, as Magnolia Ducks stated, the Mazuri floats, which is something I really want, since it can be fed both on land and water.

I don't know for sure, though, if the Mazuri is a superior food. (Looking at what is in both their ferret and rabbit foods, I know I'd never buy those two Mazuri feeds in a million years!) Their waterfowl does have fishmeal, however, while other waterfowl feed does not, which makes it seem better; but, once again, I don't know that for sure. I do like the smell of it, though. It has a sweet fish smell to me.

I just got the Kalmbach waterfowl feed this week, and it smells really odd to me. It also has "essential oils" in it. Maybe that's the scent. The pellets are smaller than I expected, which I think is good. Plus, having 50# of Kalmbach delivered is $18 less than having 50# of Mazuri. That is not a small amount of money! I'll soon see how the ducks and geese like it, and will report back.

No, of course you are not crazy. Not everyone lives in a location with a nearby feed/farm store, though. Getting heavy bags delivered right to one's front porch, with free shipping, can be very desirable, too. Plus, as Magnolia Ducks stated, the Mazuri floats, which is something I really want, since it can be fed both on land and water.

I don't know for sure, though, if the Mazuri is a superior food. (Looking at what is in both their ferret and rabbit foods, I know I'd never buy those two Mazuri feeds in a million years!) Their waterfowl does have fishmeal, however, while other waterfowl feed does not, which makes it seem better; but, once again, I don't know that for sure. I do like the smell of it, though. It has a sweet fish smell to me.

I just got the Kalmbach waterfowl feed this week, and it smells really odd to me. It also has "essential oils" in it. Maybe that's the scent. The pellets are smaller than I expected, which I think is good. Plus, having 50# of Kalmbach delivered is $18 less than having 50# of Mazuri. That is not a small amount of money! I'll soon see how the ducks and geese like it, and will report back.
I get the not wanting to carry it for sure! I have my dog food delivered :) Was just curious, thanks for answering! Much appreciated.

Well, the Kalmbach pellets are getting eaten, especially since we have snow for the first time this winter. The small, lightweight pellets are sitting on top of the snow, instead of sinking down, which is good. Some ducks shake their heads after eating a pellet, which is possibly a sign they feel the taste is foreign, but no pellets are left after the feeding. I still think the smell is odd. Anyone know what the smell is from? It doesn't smell like any grain I'm familiar with. Somewhere someone said probiotics added to feed can create a strange smell, but I don't know. I only wish the pellets floated like Mazuri waterfowl feed.

let me know how it works for you i just got some.

i'll be getting two goslings in a few weeks, they will be my only poultry. i'd planned on raising them on kalmbach duck, goose, & swan 18%, but i'm concerned about the first 3 weeks or so when i've read they'll need closer to 20% protein. they'll also be getting grass, veggies, grit, etc. these are my first geese & i really want to start them off right.

Back
Top Bottom