mcmurrays hatch rate does anyon know ?????

pefferlawchicken

Songster
10 Years
Feb 22, 2009
ontario, canada
ordering ome featherfooted eggs from mcmurray and want to know ifthey have goo hatch rate !!
smile.png

Any eggs shipped have a greater fail rate. The air cells get bounced around. Eggs will and do get jarred around alot.
Some have had good shipped eggs hatch rate well most others have a poor rate.

I don't think you can hold anyone (even a hatchery) responsible for the success of your hatch.

There are so many things that can happen during your hatch that can effect the hatch rate such as temp spikes, wrong Humididty, thermometer is not accurate, opening bator after day 18 and losing to shrink wrap etc. etc. etc.

That doesn't even mention what happens to the eggs once they leave the hatchery and USPS does their thing !

I wouldnt wase my money on those expensive eggs. Their quality isnt that newsworthy. You might as well get some of ebay. With some luck you find somebody near you selling what you want and you could pick the eggs up.

I bought some mcmurray eggs, and I dont remember what it was but I did not have a good hatch rate, and was very disapointed.
And make sure that you are home the entire day the eggs are going to be delivered. I was home the entire day, and left for five minutes, and the guy came to drop the eggs off. And you have to sign for them. So as it was a friday (and they were supposed to have been delivered on that Thursday anyway) I had to drive an hour an a half to the fed ex building to pick up my eggs. You would think that since the guy was just up the road, he would have stopped and gave me my eggs, but nope.

So I would definitly say you are better off with buying eggs from here, eggbid, or ebay.

Good Luck
smile.png

Last edited:
I just got 12 eggs from Meyer's hatchery. They shipped on a Friday from Ohio and arrived at my post office on the next Monday.
I had my postal carrier give me a note instead of delivering to my home. They packed them beautifully and it looks like I have 8 out of 12 developing so far on day 7.
They will only be hatchery birds of course.
If you want better quality I would definitely get eggs from some of the good folks on this site.
Carolyn

Quote:
Do they not sell chicks? I think the eggs are nearly the same price and I would not count on more than a 50% hatch. Chicks are a better deal at twice the price.

Shipped eggs wooh boy

I just had 11 of 12 hatch on shipped eggs, three died but it was likely a sizzle thing, not being shipped. Only one didn't develop. So hatching shipped eggs can work.

Last year I tried shipped turkey eggs and they were all totally scrambled and never developed.

So it's hit or miss with shipped eggs.

You kind of roll with the punches.

If you can buy from BYCers nearer to you for eggs, you often get access to MUCH better stock and a better hatch.

Chicks are a safer bet from hatcheries. Ideal does small orders of chicks, so does My Pet Chicken.

Shipped eggs are always a gamble. When you get hatchery eggs you will at least know they were collected promptly and properly, and packaged well. Maybe a better bet than ebay there. However INMHO it is better in most cases to just order chicks. If you have a school hatching project or live where you just can't have chicks shipped of course you have no choice. Anytime you ship anything you are taking a chance. Fragile items like eggs and mercury thermometers are just plain iffy. (I speak from experience)

Walkswithdog- Saw your signiture line. You aren't talking about those famous (infamous) german shedders are you?
big_smile.png
I have one. Lovely dog. Came from the breeder with her own coat rake.

Back on topic now- sorry.

Back
Top Bottom