Me and my chook situation

ChookieVay

In the Brooder
Aug 6, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
Hi, thanks for having me. Here's a quick intro:

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Had bantams as a kid. Got some chooks for eggs about 10 years ago and can't seem to stop.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
  • Seven hens in the main pen
  • Seven youngsters about two months old
  • Three chicks that hatched a few days back
(3) What breeds do you have?

Bit of a mixed bag of hens:
  • Two Araucana cross
  • Buff Orpington
  • Couple of black Australorps
  • One mad leghorn
  • One incredibly affectionate brown commercial layer

The youngsters:
  • Three gold laced wyandotte pullets
  • Three silver laced wyandotte roos
  • One blue wyandotte - think it's a roo too

The babies:
  • One gold laced wyandotte
  • One brahma
  • One buff orpington

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

Being able to sit and watch them do their thing. They are such interesting creatures with fabulous social dynamics!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I like making stuff. Can be pretty much anything from woodworking to sewing and all manner of random things in there. I also like growing stuff, although my veggie garden is proof of not much skill.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

Family of four humans and we also have sheep, a goat, a dog, two cats and a bearded dragon. We live just outside of Brisbane (northside).

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

The interwebs.

Welcome to BYC! It's nice to meet you! :frow It sounds like you have a wonderful flock! What will you do with all those cockerels?
I'm going to keep 2, but i haven't decided which. The others will be offered locally first, and if nobody is interested they will get culled. We've done the pot and just a straight up cull before, but i'm actually feeling weird about these little guys - i've never had such affectionate and sweet roos before!

Back
Top Bottom