Mealworm Farm

Sammy Sam

Songster
Dec 8, 2023
We started a mealworm farm a few weeks ago and we got our first pupa’s, there’s about a dozen. My son kept getting mad at me because I would take the mealworms were are farming and feeding to the chickens! lol! We probably would have had more, but I couldn’t help but fed my chickens the mealworms. They needed a treat! lol. Hopefully more soon, because there were a lot of plumped mealworms in there!

Attachments

• IMG_1625.jpeg
    IMG_1625.jpeg
    776.7 KB · Views: 19
wow ! That’s terrific ! Our hens do backflips for the dried mealworms. Hubby wants to grow (breed ?) them and has done some research into how it’s done, The local Gamm Verte (garden/tractor/farm supply place) have them live in little pots. A starter pack if you like. Probably bait for fishing though.
Personally they wiggle too much for me, too similar to worms which are too similar to slugs … can’t go on or I’ll have nightmares.
I think it’s great that your son is growing (?) them and I think it’s only fair that he shares with your girls.
Hugz

wow ! That’s terrific ! Our hens do backflips for the dried mealworms. Hubby wants to grow (breed ?) them and has done some research into how it’s done, The local Gamm Verte (garden/tractor/farm supply place) have them live in little pots. A starter pack if you like. Probably bait for fishing though.
Personally they wiggle too much for me, too similar to worms which are too similar to slugs … can’t go on or I’ll have nightmares.
I think it’s great that your son is growing (?) them and I think it’s only fair that he shares with your girls.
Hugz
Yeah, I never thought I would be raising mealworms! lol! It’s not as bad as I thought and I can even pick them up with my hands, but honestly I would prefer to use the plastic spoon than my hands! lol!

Back
Top Bottom