Mealworm farming

Okay, Amy is about to start an experiment.

Drum roll, please.....

I am going to put some meal worms in the bottom of my big Sportsman incubator and see what they do. Maybe about 50 of those little ones. I have been letting my bator run at about 99 degrees (top shelf) and I keep the humidity around 45-50% in there. The bottom rack is for hatching so it does not turn and I can slide a small bowl in there with a bit of bran and mealies to see what happens.

Ideas and thoughts???
Has anyone tried this?
Would it be much too hot, even on the lower rack?

Okay, Amy is about to start an experiment.

Drum roll, please.....

I am going to put some meal worms in the bottom of my big Sportsman incubator and see what they do. Maybe about 50 of those little ones. I have been letting my bator run at about 99 degrees (top shelf) and I keep the humidity around 45-50% in there. The bottom rack is for hatching so it does not turn and I can slide a small bowl in there with a bit of bran and mealies to see what happens.

Ideas and thoughts???
Has anyone tried this?
Would it be much too hot, even on the lower rack?

Good idea! I think that would work very well. My colony explodes during the summer when I keep them outside. Most days it's much hotter than 100 F and even at 115+ F they do well, so I think that the temp on your bottom rack should be fine. I'll be interested in how this works!
pop.gif

Last edited:
I can't seem to find out how much room they need... How much room would 500 need?

You can use a small container for only 500. A large butter bowl would work but bigger than a soup or cereal bowl. A 2 qt size casserole dish would be excellent. You want surface space not so much depth.

Gosh, can you tell I am cleaning my kitchen right now? LOL

You can use a small container for only 500. A large butter bowl would work but bigger than a soup or cereal bowl. A 2 qt size casserole dish would be excellent. You want surface space not so much depth.

Gosh, can you tell I am cleaning my kitchen right now? LOL

lol, I was wondering why you were using all food related items! Would a 6" by 12" container work?
fl.gif

Quote:
Thank you! Thank you!
I was so afraid it would be too hot but they are certainly not growing so fast in my house with the low humidity and temps so I wondered if this would work. I have now placed a small container on the bottom rack and put the hygrometer down there with them to see what readings I get. I usually have it sitting up on the shelf with the water dish.
I have tons of little worms that are not growing as fast as I need them to. the laocl pet store wants them a certain size and I know it is much nicer for people to receive the bigger ones from me rather than all those small ones, though they do grow, of course. But at least with the smaller ones they get a better count.

Here is my set up for now and I will put a card on the bator door and put another dish of the same age ones near the bator and see what differences there are in 2 weeks.

My system is realllly simple. I purchased my original red wigglers (Eisenia Foetida) on Ebay. I got 1/4 pound for around 16.00 or something.

My first system I had them indoors in my mini coffee can composting system. Here is the link. http://isadorapandora.hubpages.com/hub/DIY-Flow-Through-Worm-Composter

They quickly outgrew this so I put them into my outdoor systems. The main feeding area is one of those Rubbermaid totes with an exit hole in the side. I fill the tote with goat droppings and chicken poo mixed with old straw bedding. The worms can come and go as they please. When cold, cold weather hits, they leave the container and go in the ground. Warm days, they move back into the main feeding tote.

The worms also live in the pens themselves. They live, and reproduce beneath the litter (deep litter method).

The bucket feeder helps me harvest and feeds them worms, too. The main reason for the bucket is to keep a population of black soldier flies. The redwigglers just moved over the the base and started eating the drainage. The red wigglers and black soldier flies live together. lol

I also have a big system for the soldier flies. Its an old deep freezer.

I am making it sound more complicated than it is. I will try and get pictures soon.

I also have the redwigglers living in my hermit crab crabitat. He loves to eat their poo, them, their eggs, and they keep the soil turned.

Last edited:
You can also do a trench method. Dig a trench, fill it with your refuse and then put your worms in it. You can build a roof over it to protect from rain, too. The worms will congregate where there is ample food.

Back
Top Bottom