Mealworm farming

I used veggie oil for my table legs not a good idea my dogs would dart past me every chance they got to eat the oil. I will try the mineral oil that might work better.
Um that might not be such a good idea..... Oral ingestion of mineral oil has a pronounced laxative effect. Maybe use jars that are small enough that the legs just barely fit in the jars. A 1/8 inch gap around the leg is enough as ants are not known for their broad jumping ability. You could also just use soapy water and add a small amount of oil on top. The oil will keep the water from evaporating but if the dogs lap at it they get soap water and probably one time will be enough to discourage them.

Well, I finally tried it! I just went out and bought an aquarium, wheat bran, and 500 mealworms (I will add more later; that's all they had at the pet store). My boyfriend loaned me his heat lamp and I put it on top of the screen that tops the aquarium. These mealies have been in the fridge so they were pretty lethargic, but they came to life when I put the heat lamp on there. Most of them were wiggling all over the place! So I added a piece of carrot. They were interested in it at first, but now they're all still. This has all happened since I took them out of the fridge 10 minutes ago. Did I kill them?!?

Yep, pretty sure I killed them. They're not moving at all. Probably the dramatic temp change from fridge to heat lamp, I'm guessing.
hit.gif

The meal worms don't need a heat lamp room temperature is all they need really. You can feed the cooked worms to your chickens
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom