Mealworm farming

Not really any way to cheat if you want ALL the goodies in the thread. The one very early (1st? 2nd?) post does a pretty good job of giving the basics, though. It took me three straight days to read the whole thread to 320 or so, so buckle down and get started. It's VERY worth doing and pays back with a lot of humor. :)

AGREED! There is so many pieces of information, u don't want to miss any.A lot of good "don't do's" in there also. I have read the whole thing twice now.

Holy cow, Henrietta! Those are HUGE!! I'm voting Miracle-Gro, for sure...what temps do you have them at?
I swear, Im not giving them mircale-gro. I don't believe chemicals are way. If you can't do it natural, then why do it at all? I just keep them at room tempature which is....... *runs to see* 72F... Thats what the whole house is set at. And Their in my room.... and I have a window that brings in a draft so its more like 70Fish

The link took me to a 404 page, but over to the left there is a "top ten" list and #5 is free shipping meal worms. With the UNCLE4 discount an order of 500 small worms is $5.95.
That seems great! (I'm a newbie, but thats the cheapest I've seen).
Have you used this website before? I'm about to order if someone has had good luck with this site.

The link took me to a 404 page, but over to the left there is a "top ten" list and #5 is free shipping meal worms. With the UNCLE4 discount an order of 500 small worms is $5.95.
That seems great! (I'm a newbie, but thats the cheapest I've seen).
Have you used this website before? I'm about to order if someone has had good luck with this site.

there were some problems when this thread started but they did make it right.

I was just told that meal worms shouldn't be fed to chickens because they carry diseases including meryks, Has anyone have any information regarding this?

I was just told that meal worms shouldn't be fed to chickens because they carry diseases including meryks, Has anyone have any information regarding this?

Your chickens have next to zero chance of getting Marek's from the mealworms (Tenbrio molitor) that we're discussing in this thread. The person that told you chickens shouldn't be fed mealworms may have been thinking about Lesser mealworms (Alphitobius diaperinus), a smaller beetle pest commonly associated with poultry litter. Of course, even then, Marek's would have to be present in your flock, then picked up by the lesser mealworms and then eaten by un-infected chickens to pose a problem.

Hi I am interested in breeding mealworms and have been reading heaps of the stuff on this thread. It's great! I have raised mealworms before but never bred them because I didn't know how (it's been a while). Sorry if these Q's have already been posted:

If I have 4 chickens, approximately how many mealworms would I need to start off my farm?

I am planning to put them in my study - it's at the front of the house and gets all the heat of the morning sun. There will be no direct sunlight as there are blinds on the windows. Should this be OK?

Should I get rid of the deformed beetles or keep them for breeding?

I hope to keep all the mealworms together and put them into another container as they pupate. Do beetles eat the pupae and should I separate them as they morph?

Do beetles still eat their eggs if there is enough food for all?

Are eggs/tiny baby mealworms safe with beetles or larger mealworms?

Last edited:
Hi I am interested in breeding mealworms and have been reading heaps of the stuff on this thread. It's great! I have raised mealworms before but never bred them because I didn't know how (it's been a while). Sorry if these Q's have already been posted:

If I have 4 chickens, approximately how many mealworms would I need to start off my farm?

I am planning to put them in my study - it's at the front of the house and gets all the heat of the morning sun. There will be no direct sunlight as there are blinds on the windows. Should this be OK?

Should I get rid of the deformed beetles or keep them for breeding?

I hope to keep all the mealworms together and put them into another container as they pupate. Do beetles eat the pupae and should I separate them as they morph?

Do beetles still eat their eggs if there is enough food for all?

Are eggs/tiny baby mealworms safe with beetles or larger mealworms?
For 4 chickens, 500-1000 worms would be a good starting point.
They will love all the heat they can get. I have mine by a window, too.
I am not sure about that.
I have 2,000 beetles currently in a 10 gallon tank. someone on here has around 15,000 in a ten gallon tank. There are probably lots of opinions and scenarios, but I think there would be a low cannibolism rate if they had enough food and hiding spaces. Happy worming!

Back
Top Bottom