Mealworm farming

That is strange? Worms do carry a parasite that can make chickens sick though so maybe it's for the best. Frustrating I agree. Mine do fine on earth worms. I prefer it. Much faster. Extra protein in the winter, that sort of thing now.
Maybe, if it was all they had to eat they might eat some and like 'em.

have fun

So mine that are 2 weeks and 7 weeks should be fine? I have them on a chick starter. Is that enough?
Chick start is enouh nutritionally for chicks, but has no grit, you would still need to give access to grit if you are going to give them any treats that would require "teeth"

Chick start is enouh nutritionally for chicks, but has no grit, you would still need to give access to grit if you are going to give them any treats that would require "teeth" 

Ahh. That's what I need to know. Didn't think he had grit in it. Will pick some up on the next feed store trip. Then I will order my worms! Should I mix it in their starter or just in a bowl?

Higher fatalities of the worms or birds. One of groups have been discussing that mealworms shouldn't be given to poultry.
LOL, both! I meant the meat birds. I am no expert, IMO..If you feed out a mass quantity of meal worms every day, I would be concerned the CX would just keep right on eating. They would be getting a lot more protein in their diet. If i remember right, the fat content is pretty high in mealies too. If the proteins get too high, they start getting heart attacks and legs give out.They just grow so fast, they outgrow their bones, and their hearts just can keep up. The best idea to follow is get the nutritional requirements for the birds (Cooperative extension should be able to give that to you). Then create your feed plan from that.

Back
Top Bottom