Mealworm farming

I started 2 months ago with 500 live worms from Petco. I got a 15" x 10" plastic container from the dollar store and put a few cups of chick starter and a few cups of quick oats. I covered most exposed areas with newspaper and paper towel. I put only baby carrots, two at a time. I now have several beetles. The newspaper is literally dancing up and down with movement from all stages. Since I started in late winter with indoor temps around 65 the process was slower. It's now around 72 degrees and they're happy. Thanks to all the helpful advice here. The only thing I won't do is add calcium since I'll give most worms to chicks.
I want to feed some to my little chicks. Might have to get in there and get some out for them since I have herds of small worms. :)

I started 2 months ago with 500 live worms from Petco. I got a 15" x 10" plastic container from the dollar store and put a few cups of chick starter and a few cups of quick oats. I covered most exposed areas with newspaper and paper towel. I put only baby carrots, two at a time. I now have several beetles. The newspaper is literally dancing up and down with movement from all stages. Since I started in late winter with indoor temps around 65 the process was slower. It's now around 72 degrees and they're happy. Thanks to all the helpful advice here. The only thing I won't do is add calcium since I'll give most worms to chicks.

Hi Sue: What's wrong with calcium & chicks? Is that bad? I put the powdered milk in my worm mix because I read somewhere that the calcium is good for them??? Did I miss something? It's too late for me to undo my 2 huge containers, but if it's bad, I'll not be adding any more powdered milk.
I'm also on the FR Colorado. Mine took an age to get to beetle stage (over 3 months) and now I have a billion beetles only. No sign of small worms yet, but I'm thinking that our dry conditions just put everything into slow motion.

Hey Skippy: Haven't seen the first beetle yet, but have hundreds of pupae now (had a couple when the 5000 worms arrived a couple weeks back). From what I read, the beetles will age a couple weeks then start laying anywhere up to 200+ eggs over a 3-4 month period (depending on temp, humidity, food, etc.), then die. Someone on this thread took a picture of one of the eggs, and my tired old eyes would never have seen it, even with a magnifying glass
barnie.gif
So, I'm doing what you probably are.. sitting back waiting and watching
pop.gif
I'll let nature take it's course, and my chicks don't come till the end of May anyway. Even without new worms growing yet, I got 5000 and they should last quite a while as treats :) Happy worming!

I wouldn't give oyster shell to my chicks. Too much calcium can harm them. They get the right amount from chick starter. I only give extra calcium (egg shells/oyster shells) to laying hens.

What's everyone's favorite substrate to use? I plan on transferring all my beetles to a 38 gallon aquarium and buying about 500 mealies to put in the 30 gallon. Wondering what's better to use chick feed or wheat bran( I think that's what it was )? Currently they have oats in the bottom.

What's everyone's favorite substrate to use? I plan on transferring all my beetles to a 38 gallon aquarium and buying about 500 mealies to put in the 30 gallon. Wondering what's better to use chick feed or wheat bran( I think that's what it was )? Currently they have oats in the bottom.

I have mine in a mix of wheat bran, oats, and whole wheat flour. (I also added powdered milk and goldfish flakes for calcium and added protein.)

I'd recommend wheat bran. You can add chick starter to it, but check the label first to make sure it does not have diatomaceous earth (DE) in it.

None of the feed stores near me carry wheat bran, just rice bran and I hate that stuff, it's utterly useless!
Where else can I look for wheat bran?

Do you have a health food store near you, a Whole Foods maybe? Any grocery store that has a bulk food section will have wheat bran. I'm surprised that your feed stores don't carry it!

Back
Top Bottom