Mealworm farming

Pics
Oh great! So now I need to set up another table and start trying to move all my beetles over to another tub so my eggs will be safe. I really wanted to do that to start with but summer got in the way.

I am finding as lot of dead beetles now. I wonder what is gong on? Am I not feeding/watering enough? Has another parasite made it's way into my bins?
I suppose I need to get out my magnifying glass and look around in there.

Quote:
I had that happen too. They just die at a certain point and if the beetles are all of a certain age you'll notice them dying more. Probably nothing to worry about.

So, since they will cannibalize their eggs...i feel it would b better to remove them after a month like I said on a different post..I will probably continue to do that...

Right now (because I didn't know any better)...I put all my beetles in a shoe box sized container...as they are dying off or 30 days (whichever comes first) I am removing them. This container will be much too small for the colony of worms that I anticipate will form in there... So I expect to move the contents of the bin to a larger box once the beetles are all dead.
Some say this is not a good idea--are the eggs that sensitive that I can't carefully move the contents of one bin to another without damaging them.... Some people here have eggs dropping from one drawer to another below... Mine won't even "drop" that far when I shuffle the contents to a bigger bin.

I have new beetles emerging from pupa....as they are drying I am putting them in a new big bin...but I noticed that they keep falling over on their back...will they die if I don't help em upright? Y do they keep ending up on their back?

Just wanted to say good morning to everyone and hope you guys have a great weekend! I got my bins yesterday and looking forward to my worms next week.

LibertyChick ~ Yes, you can see them if you know what you're looking for. I posted a picture on page 72 of the thread.

feliciamckee ~ 'morning! Let us know when the wormies come! What do you plan on putting in your substrate?

Good Morning. had to find this thread. i have a three drawer system. have them in oats. and give them potatoes. the top drawer has pupae in it with screen in the bottom in it.

thank you. Had to give the mealies a try. My chickens deserve it. But im actually enjoying raising them.
big_smile.png

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom