Mealworm farming

I have a question. I am growing mealworms for the first time. Mine finally have turned into beetles and I'm super stoked. But I left a potato in there for about 6 days. It didn't look moldy...just brown and shriveled. I'm worried about Aflatoxin affecting my chickens and hedgehog. If it were just a bit moldy (the bedding was dry and fine) would that be ok? It wasn't visually moldy but I did forget about it for almost a week!!!

Sorry, I do not use potatoes because I forget about them too often - I use carrots and just leave them. There isn't much left by the time I switch them out. As long as you weren't growing mold in there it should be fine.

Finally have beetles! I have a carrot in there right now, but I am reading about cardboard egg container and toilet paper rolls. Should I have that in there too?

Ok..good. No more potatoes for me. I just got sooo busy. Carrots from now on. Oh and I've only had beetles for about 10-14 days and few are dead. Is that bad?

Ok..good. No more potatoes for me. I just got sooo busy. Carrots from now on. Oh and I've only had beetles for about 10-14 days and few are dead. Is that bad?
That is normal. There is always some that die off same as with the mealworms. Pupa sometimes don't make it, but usually they turn to beetles first and then die soon after. It really is a percentage game. Temperature plays a major part in this.

I wouldn't worry about the potato. A week is not that long. Brown and dry is not an issue.

Finally have beetles! I have a carrot in there right now, but I am reading about cardboard egg container and toilet paper rolls. Should I have that in there too?
These are nice places for them to gather. You don't have to, but they like it. Also, I like putting food on the egg container to keep it off the bran. I use the top half so they can go through the holes in the middle. I also have some newspaper in there because they like to hide out in there and I can just throw some carrots on top.

According to my USPS tracking my mealworms should be here tomorrow! I think I'm just going to give carrots to all, and depending on what my wife makes for dinner next week maybe change it up in one of the containers to see if it gets a different reaction. I'll post some pics when they arrive

smile.png

Quote:
you are fine, no worries! potato and carrots are both good choices and don't mold as easy. Fruits mold fast, and cause lots of hassle, i like easy! You will have some just die off, its nothing to worry on. One they get a few generations ahead you will wonder what you will do with them all
lau.gif
They do like crumpled or folded newspaper too (soy inks only) and eat thru the paper. more hiding spots make them lay more eggs from what i am seeing, and makes it easier to gather the worms.I started in august and have 10's of thousands. feed at least a half cup a day now as a treat, probably more.

I cut up a potato and just inside the peel was green, I gave it to them anyway. I hope that doesn't make them sick.

That is normal. There is always some that die off same as with the mealworms. Pupa sometimes don't make it, but usually they turn to beetles first and then die soon after. It really is a percentage game. Temperature plays a major part in this.

I wouldn't worry about the potato. A week is not that long. Brown and dry is not an issue
I noticed that too. would that be the temperature being too low?

Back
Top Bottom