Mealworm farming

Hello.. for folks who are just getting started.. some information & easy to find answers...

The very first post.. right here on this thread has some good basic information.. that answers some of your questions..
It may be good to read thru the first several pages.. starting here https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/492636/mealworm-farming#post_6256559
Personally I think this is how a great thread is managed.. well done trish.. ; )

She put "up dates" on the first post.. so that when it gets long..... like some threads do.. the repeat ? Q&A can be noted at the front.. of the thread.
she has included information to links.. here on byc and others.. that show how to raise.. and where to pchs.. if you dont have a source.

then.. http://sialis.org/raisingmealworms.htm has just about all one needs to get started.. and more.. ( photo's included)

Searching thru the thread.. can answer some of the questions very fast.. -- see the Search This Thread
i have found very well explained answers on other threads.. using this.. it may work for you too.
eg.. here is a search .. this thread for "life cycle"..
If you want to read more.. of a post.. look over to the far right.. and look to see the arrow and --- "view full post"---
this is also a good tool to use. in very fast moving threads.. that can put on 50 or more pages / week - to search your own name.. eg; bbsnooks.. in my case..
to see what you posted last month.. and if some one answered your question.. and you missed it. ; ) or .. that I had missed.. ; )

I find that i can quickly find several answers.. on one page.. and usually get an answer fast..
and many time.. a very complete answer will be.. hidden in the mass of post.. we just dont want to read thru..
( which may be important with a sick chick.. not so much with worms.. )
still a useful too.... when you dont want to read hundreds of posts..

personally think the sialis is a terrific one page.. volume.. of information that every one that considers raising mealworms.. should at least know where this site is..
in the top 1/4 of page.. is a " Jump to" section.. that will take you to that part of the page.. that your interested in..

hope you find this useful..

I'm filling my 3 tier.. dresser some time this week.. <just got it at wally world..>
.. I'm hoping this will work well.. it looks to have just enough ventilation. so that the humidity doesnt build up..

Last edited:
It does take awhile. I have read that if you increase the temp it speeds up the life cycle. I have noticed since the temp outside is increasing that my wormies are getting bigger faster and the pupae are starting to lie on top of the substrate. Just keep 'em fed and warm and one day a little white, waxy pupae will be laying there and make your day!
smile.png

I have 10,000 mealworms and was pulling 8-10 pupa from the top of the substrate for a few days. Then I pulled a handful of worms up to lay them across a banana peel and the entire BOTTOM of the bin was full of pupa. I guess I'll be on beetle watch instead of pupa watch for now. lol

2 questions.....

I've read that the mealworms like cactus. Would this be "any" type pf cactus? I have a few in the yard that I run over with the mower every few weeks.

AND sponges. I've also read that some people use sponges for the moisture source. Does anyone do this?

Thanks
Eddie

Super worms will not pupate around other worms they have to be by themselves and stressed out before they will pupuate. Sometimes I get something like that if they are smaller then usual. How high is the temperature? If they are pupuating to fast it might cause them not to be so big
I don't know for sure if they are super worms, but they are getting really big. I know I read somewhere how long mealworms get but I don't remember where I saw that. I would guess that I have some an inch and a half long and maybe two inches long. I got about 105 "large" mealworms from PetSmart (but not the ones they called super worms) and then I got about 50 small mealworms from a feed store. I figured the small ones had to grow up into big ones before them pupated (is that a word?
hu.gif
) so that way I wouldn't have all pupa and all bugs at the same time. The one that I *think* is a pupa had to have come from one of the smaller worms though. Their room is between 68-70, but it might get a little warmer during the day when we have warmer days. Who knows how old that larva was when I got it though. It could have been older when it left it's farm and was shipped to the feed store. Right? I don't know what else would cause it to pupate too fast.They are in a glass container so I'm going to try to look at the bottom and see if I see anymore down there. If my big worms don't pupate I'll try separating them.

I have 10,000 mealworms and was pulling 8-10 pupa from the top of the substrate for a few days. Then I pulled a handful of worms up to lay them across a banana peel and the entire BOTTOM of the bin was full of pupa. I guess I'll be on beetle watch instead of pupa watch for now. lol
How long ago did you get your mealworms Eddie?

Back
Top Bottom