Mealworm farming

Ok I opened my box and got excited cuz I thought I had 2 beetles. But this aint no beetle! Wont be going back to that feed store. Well the picture wont load but its a freaking cockroach. Anyone ever have this happen? What should I do? I dont want anymore roaches popping up in my bin and escaping.

Lol. These are honestly the first ones ive ever seen. I had to google a pic of it just to be sure. It pisses me off I really thought I had beetles. I just got my worms a week ago so I was shocked, then was shocked again and grossed out.

Well....its Pupaville in my bottom drawer. This are a hoppin and wigglin!!!! I estimate that within a few days, I'll have a couple hundred beetles. Then it'll be on like Donkey Kong in my top drawer.
lau.gif

I'll post some pics tomorrow. It's fixin to get fun!!!
smile.png

Eddie

Well, due to various circumstances, I started out with considerably fewer larva and beetles than what I had planned on having but it all seems to be working out. I bought a couple hundred larva at the local pet store and some from a seller on here and now have tons of pupa. Many have transformed into beetles - about 3 or 4 dozen finally. Several of the pupa were drying out before they had a chance to transform or they were slightly mutated when they finally changed. Whatever was wrong seems to have sorted itself out.
I'm not seeing any micros yet - I started off with a little over a dozen beetles more than 2 or 3 weeks ago so I thought I would see some really small larva by now. The rest of the larva in the container are getting really big. I would love to feed some of them to my chickens but I also really want to get my colony going . . . Hopefully I will have lots to freeze for winter.
While walking through the local Walmart, I saw a great deal on the wide, 3 drawer bins. I almost bought a couple on Craigslist for $10 each that were the standard size but those are only $13 new at the store!!! And the wider version is only $19. All 3 life stages seem to be doing well enough together in the bin they are kept in now. I actually looked at the drawers of my fridge (that died yesterday morning!!!!) and thought 'hmmmmm . . . .', lol. As fascinating as these mealies are, if I convert my old fridge to a mealie factory, my son will probably have me committed
lau.gif
. My mom hasn't been over to visit since she found out I have red wiggler bins in my basement . . . (I haven't told her about the meal worms yet).
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom