Mealworm substrate

Johnny829

Chirping
Oct 9, 2018
Hi guys!

So I'm hope to get suggestions of cheap bulk mealworm substrate besides wheat bran. I'm planning to have my own mealworm farm and starting big because I'll be having 35 chickens. And I want to treat them good everyday. I was told wheat bran is the best bedding for mealworms. Unfortunately, I have literally driven to every single feed store near me (South Bend, IN), Rural King, Tractor Supply Co., whole food store, and grocery stores which I guess they may have in bulk and cheap. And none of them have what I want. I'm looking for a few 50 lb bags because again, I will be needing a lot of mealworms everyday.

Then I started online searching, they do have $15 for a 50 lb bag but the shipping fee would be $50. So I don't know what I can do at this moment. I live in South Bend, IN and I believe I have searched all possible stores near me that may sell them in bulk and cheap. But I got nothing. So please let me know you happen to know anywhere that sell them cheap near me or give me some suggestions of mealworm substrate besides wheat bran and I can easily buy in bulk and cheap near me. Thank you!!

I started my colony on chick starter (non-medicated, of course), whole wheat flour and dehydrated milk. They did fine.
I've since ditched raising mealworms as I have way too much going on in my life to take care of the colony and it was stinking to high heaven.

I use corn meal and the unsweetened cheap brand of cheerios. I use carrots banana peels and potatoes for moisture. They have been doing fine for a year. Just make sure your lid allows ventilation without escape. If moisture can collect, then you will have mold, and rot, and it will stink!

I mean you want ventilation, but you dont want the meal worms to escape. I have thin breathable cloth covering the top, but tied very secure.

Back
Top Bottom